Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:34 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 52800
Default Longest time your electricity has been out.

I am pretty lucky. My electricity has never been out for more than a few hours. And I always had camping gear that I could use to cook with if I needed to, but I have never gotten that desperate. I have also been lucky enough to always live with city water service. My parents house gets its water from a spring. When their power goes off so does their water pump. But they have an emergency generator.

Any of you been without power for a day or longer?

Any of you have emergency generators? I have a kerosene heater for emergencies, but it is such a pain to dig it out of storage and fill it that I usually just bundle up and wait for the power to come back on. The last time I remember using it was when my wife was pregnant with our first child 11 years ago.

Last edited by fredtoast; 02-12-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:03 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30022
Default Re: Longest time your electricity has been out.

October 2005, Hurricane Wilma knocked us out for a week.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 3231

About 24 hours. But then I got the Kryptonite out of my pants, and all my power returned.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:19 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 46964

I've lost electric several times from hurricanes and tropical storms. Due to the excellent power people in this area, I've never been without power more than a day or so.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:54 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4575

We had an ice storm here just before xmas and I was down for 48 hours straight. some folks near downtown were down for 4-5 days.

i didn't realize how much i relied on eletricity until those days. I've never been down that long before.

its actually quite humbling.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:37 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 50058

About a month. I usually say it was 28 days (mainly because it's easy to remember from the movie). During the ice storm back a few years ago. Luckily for us, I hadn't gotten around to taking the wood stove out of the house, so we had something to cook off of, heat water for bathing, etc. And I got a car charger to charge our phones, laptops, rechargeable batteries, etc.

Really it wasn't so bad. The worst part was having to wait in line for cash (most stores here didn't have power for more than a week, so no credit cards or checks). The bank would open for a few hours and people would line up down the block to go in and withdraw money from their accounts. You would have to stand in line for about two hours. And they only allowed two people in the bank at a time, so you stood outside the whole time. Oh, and cooking ******. It would take about an hour to boil water.

Anyway, when we finally did get power back in our neighborhood it was only because my wife's cousin was on the electric company board of directors. She called him and said "hey, we haven't had any power in a month and we've got a new born." The trucks were out there the next day.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:39 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3390

I know we had a wind storm here in Cincinnati some years back. It might have been the remnants of Hurricane Ike which happened in 2008. I lost power for about 4 days. Many had it worse...areas of Clermont County and east of Cincinnati were out for weeks. I remember tossing some food out.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:39 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 29596

5 days after Huirricane Ike in 2008 - 95% of the Houston Metro Area lost power (4million + customers), most major roads were closed for days so there was no where to go. We were trapped. Never lost water or sewage, which was a blessing.

Luckily a cold front came through right after the cane and dropped us below 85 degrees during the day and down to 70 at night or it would have been very difficult to handle.

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:56 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13537

After a couple of hurricanes about 8 days has been the longest. Never lost power during the winter months. Always during the summer months.

BMOREBLITZ
Old 02-12-2014, 10:48 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11111

2 days - the Northeast Blackout of 2003.

Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.
There are two seasons of the year for me: Football Season and waiting for Football Season.
On the Bengals Bandwagon since 1981
Old 02-12-2014, 11:26 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8670

Hurricane Ike in 2008. We were out for 5 days. I had a freezer full of meat-I just started grilling-thank God for propane! Our wood-burning fireplace got a ton of use that week too as it was quite chilly that September.

That was the same day the Bengals lost to the Titans because every time Carson (maybe Fitzy?) threw the ball, it went sideways.

Other than that, I think the blizzard in '77/'78 (I was 12) we were out for a week or so. The snow drifted so high on the door we couldn't open it. We had a storm door that was half plexiglass. My dad took the glass out and he and my brother pushed me through so I could go get the snow shovel out of the carport and dig a trail back to the house so he could go get scotch. Food was an afterthought with him back then.

ALL IN FOR ANDY
Old 02-12-2014, 11:29 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9595

I think we've had a storm or two that has knocked us out for close to a day maybe more.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:59 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3719

i couldn't pay the bill once in a Texas August and it got shut off. Rest assured it only took me 24 hours to find enough money to get it turned back on.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:13 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19599

About 10 days in 2008. Massive Ice storm hit the area, and we actually had to leave. I have gas logs that heated the house, but really no way to heat water or cook. So, I drained the water lines and the hot tub, and left. It was cold enough to keep the food in good shape, fortunately, and my brother in law had electric in Lexington, so we went and stayed with him. My wife and I had to work, so staying home and roughing it wasn't an option. My neighbors did, and I wish I had been able to stay with them and boozed it up for a few days.....lol.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:18 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35093

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
I am pretty lucky. My electricity has never been out for more than a few hours. And I always had camping gear that I could use to cook with if I needed to, but I have never gotten that desperate. I have also been lucky enough to always live with city water service. My parents house gets its water from a spring. When their power goes off so does their water pump. But they have an emergency generator.

Any of you been without power for a day or longer?

Any of you have emergency generators? I have a kerosene heater for emergencies, but it is such a pain to dig it out of storage and fill it that I usually just bundle up and wait for the power to come back on. The last time I remember using it was when my wife was pregnant with our first child 11 years ago.
My city doesnt use Duke. They run their own power grid.

Which means the fix their own power grid within hours instead of waiting days.

Longest for me was probly 1 or 2 days... And that was because i forgot to pay the bill
Old 02-12-2014, 12:33 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 31517

Remember that big wind storm that hit during the Titans game in 2008?

That knocked my power out for a week. When I wasn't working, my Wife and I played cards, listened to the radio, lit candles and...

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 02-12-2014, 12:48 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 161
bengals Re: Longest time your electricity has been out.

10 days once and 11 days another I have a well for my water and a fireplace so I bought a generator it helped save a lot of problems.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:02 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post

That knocked my power out for a week. When I wasn't working, my Wife and I played cards, listened to the radio, lit candles and...
.......so your oldest child is around 6?
Old 02-12-2014, 02:45 PM
MB HOF Inductee

To me it seems that the biggest problem would be food. You would have to live off stuff from cans and boxes.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:56 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35093

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
To me it seems that the biggest problem would be food. You would have to live off stuff from cans and boxes.
that would be a issue...

Even more so if you only have an electric can opener.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:56 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8834

Less than a day.

Except when I wasn't paying.

Life is tough without electricity.
“How in the hell could a man enjoy being awakened at 6:30 a.m. by an alarm clock, leap out of bed, dress, force-feed, ****, ****, brush teeth and hair, and fight traffic to get to a place where essentially you made lots of money for somebody else and were asked to be grateful for the opportunity to do so? ”

Charles Bukowski.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post

Yada yada yada?

Old 02-12-2014, 03:10 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 24543

My power went out a few times a couple of years back. The transformers in my subdivision are apparently garbage. My neighbors told me that they go out all the time in the winter for an hour or two at a time. It's fried 2 AC compressors in the 3 years I've been here. Thanks, warranty!

So, after taking all of this into consideration, and adding to it the fact that our son was on the way last winter, I went out and bought myself a generator. It felt all responsible like, and it wasn't cheap.

So, how many times has the power gone out since I shelled out for a generator? Even in this long, nasty winter, not one time. Generator looks great in the garage, though.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:31 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
My power went out a few times a couple of years back. The transformers in my subdivision are apparently garbage. My neighbors told me that they go out all the time in the winter for an hour or two at a time. It's fried 2 AC compressors in the 3 years I've been here. Thanks, warranty!

So, after taking all of this into consideration, and adding to it the fact that our son was on the way last winter, I went out and bought myself a generator. It felt all responsible like, and it wasn't cheap.

So, how many times has the power gone out since I shelled out for a generator? Even in this long, nasty winter, not one time. Generator looks great in the garage, though.
I pretty much forced my parents to get a generator this year. They have a wood heat stove downstairs, a fireplace upstairs, and enough food to feed an army for a month. But when their water pump is out they have to carry water. When they are healthy they can fill buckets at the spring, load them in the truck, and haul them into the garage in their basement. But they are in their eighties so even something minor like a cold or an inflamed sciatica can put them out of action at any time. It takes about 25 lbs of water (3 gallons) to flush one of their toilets. That can add up quickly if you have any stomach or digestive problems.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:58 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17469

Two weeks after hurricane Hugo in 1988. It destroyed Charlotte was a Cat3 when it hit that far inland