Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:43 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 212
Default Julius Peppers

If we do not address the defensive end position by trade, how important does aquiring Julius Peppers via free agency in 09 become to the Bengals? Will we be willing to put ourselves out on a limb to acuire him and TJ?

Last edited by 82bengal; 05-08-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:53 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5284
Default Re: Julius Peppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82bengal View Post
If we do not address the defensive end position by trade, how important does aquiring Julius Peppers via free agency in 09 become to the Bengals? Will we be willing to put ourselves out on a limb to acuire him and TJ?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals made offers for Peppers but I see him following the money for the last few years of his carreer. His numbers aren't what they used to be anyway.

Thanks go to NashvilleBengalFan for the new sig & Kavran for the custom avatar
Old 05-08-2008, 01:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6516

Anyone who gets him will overpay for him. He had two sacks last year. TWO! That's not the kind of production teams look for in a pass rusher, and he's going to want to be paid like the elite pass-rusher he isn't anymore.

Fuhgeddaboudit.

fo three
Old 05-08-2008, 01:11 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsons-Arsenal View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals made offers for Peppers but I see him following the money for the last few years of his carreer. His numbers aren't what they used to be anyway.
So you're saying that we wouldn't be able to offer him the kind of money he'll want? If so, I would have to disagree. Our team is almost set. We can give Peppers the money he wants and take the hit in the draft. All we really need with the addtion of Peppers is a RB and possibly a Safety. It would be no different from what Cleveland did this offseason.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 23715

I think we're okay at DE for now. Antwan Odom and Robert Geathers will make a great duo together. Plus, why would we want to overpay a guy who only had 2 sacks last year?

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ MulishaNick
Old 05-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Rep Points: 251721

Quote:

I did not know that with Geathers and Odom the bengals had a problem at DE,. why are you going to give away the farm for a guy with 2 sacks in 07'?
Old 05-08-2008, 01:14 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsAtOSU View Post
Anyone who gets him will overpay for him. He had two sacks last year. TWO! That's not the kind of production teams look for in a pass rusher, and he's going to want to be paid like the elite pass-rusher he isn't anymore.

Fuhgeddaboudit.
Very true...but the man will still attract double coverage every down because of his legacy
Old 05-08-2008, 01:21 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7177

I think we will pass on that guy. We just got rid of a 2 sack attack man who is getting overpaid out on the west coast.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:21 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyg2 View Post
I did not know that with Geathers and Odom the bengals had a problem at DE,. why are you going to give away the farm for a guy with 2 sacks in 07'?
Geathers does not put fear in opposing offenses like Julius Peppers and I honestly never even heard of Odom until we picked him up. I hope he (Odom) steps up like we're hoping he will.

We can't expect to get over the hump with a bunch of average guys at DE. We need a guy that quarterbacks need to no where he's alligned every play
Old 05-08-2008, 01:23 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a6pk2go View Post
I think we will pass on that guy. We just got rid of a 2 sack attack man who is getting overpaid out on the west coast.
We're talking about Julius Peppers people. You can't put Justin Smith on that man's level...I'm sure that will actually insult him
Old 05-08-2008, 01:26 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 33495

Quote:
Geathers does not put fear in opposing offenses like Julius Peppers and I honestly never even heard of Odom until we picked him up. I hope he (Odom) steps up like we're hoping he will.

We can't expect to get over the hump with a bunch of average guys at DE. We need a guy that quarterbacks need to no where he's alligned every play
you are right in saying we need to add atleast another DE to the roster (or be pleasantly surprised by rucker), but i dont think we need to add another starter. i actually hoped we would add a rotational, pass rushing DE through the draft to add some depth to the position, but it didnt happen. i am hoping, and counting on, that the coaches know something we dont and ignored the DE position for a reason other than poor roster management.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 11973

Quote:

"signed
Trent green"

I

15- Gone But NEVER forgotten
Old 05-08-2008, 01:28 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyg2 View Post
Question...

How many times did Ben R. scramble outside the pocket and convert 3rd and longs against since he's been in the league? Several right....

This is because we have no contain or speed at DE. I would love to see Big Ben out run Julius Peppers to the sideline.......Not gonna happen

Last edited by 82bengal; 05-08-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:35 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Question...

How many times did Ben R. scramble outside the pocket and convert 3rd and longs against since he's been in the league? Several right....

This is because we have no contain or speed at DE. I would love to see Big Ben out run Julius Peppers to the sideline.......Not gonna happen
again, your right about big ben scrambling successfully against us. that is one of his strengths and we are by no means the only team he pulled it off against.

i dont think its a problem with speed or containment as much as it was poor defensive coaching and tackling technique. i trust that zimmer will put our defense in position to not only better contain bens scrambling, but to better disrupt whatever offense we face.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:41 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondbengalfan View Post
again, your right about big ben scrambling successfully against us. that is one of his strengths and we are by no means the only team he pulled it off against.

i dont think its a problem with speed or containment as much as it was poor defensive coaching and tackling technique. i trust that zimmer will put our defense in position to not only better contain bens scrambling, but to better disrupt whatever offense we face.
It's the Jimmy's and Joe's...not the X's and O's

Old 05-08-2008, 01:46 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
It's the Jimmy's and Joe's...not the X's and O's

:dunce: forgive me for taking that as you defending the bengals defensive scheme the past few years.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5284

Quote:
So you're saying that we wouldn't be able to offer him the kind of money he'll want? If so, I would have to disagree. Our team is almost set. We can give Peppers the money he wants and take the hit in the draft. All we really need with the addtion of Peppers is a RB and possibly a Safety. It would be no different from what Cleveland did this offseason.

I'm sure we will be able to offer him what he wants. What I'm saying is the Bengals would do nothing more than go through the motions with that guy. He's going to land in the city wth the most money to throw at him that he believes has a chance to win. Just like all veterans do once they've peaked. I think Pep' needs to rededicate himself to football before I feel comfortable with my team dedicating money to him...Or any player like him for that matter.

Thanks go to NashvilleBengalFan for the new sig & Kavran for the custom avatar
Old 05-08-2008, 01:56 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
:dunce: forgive me for taking that as you defending the bengals defensive scheme the past few years.
Nah...just saying that it's not really the coaching as much as it is the personel. It's not like he didn't do it against some good coaching schemes too right?
Old 05-08-2008, 02:02 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsons-Arsenal View Post
I'm sure we will be able to offer him what he wants. What I'm saying is the Bengals would do nothing more than go through the motions with that guy. He's going to land in the city wth the most money to throw at him that he believes has a chance to win. Just like all veterans do once they've peaked. I think Pep' needs to rededicate himself to football before I feel comfortable with my team dedicating money to him...Or any player like him for that matter.
The guy had 13 sacks in 06'. You don't just lose you're desire to compete in a year. He'll be worth it.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:04 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Nah...just saying that it's not really the coaching as much as it is the personel. It's not like he didn't do it against some good coaching schemes too right?
just think about this, if we had a good DC with bad players, dont you think the DC would have been kept. chuck has never excelled at this position when he was with us, and there is a reason he was canned to bring in someone tougher. was it the players fault that we were sometimes lined up with a 10 yard cushion on wideouts in the red zone? was it the players fault that hall was often lined up against the fastest reciever, when jjo is our fasted corner?

its a combination of both, but good coaching is what wins you games, unless you have exceptional talent to work with (i.e. Brat, offense, 2005...now that we dont overmatch other teams with our offense, its more on brats shoulders to get the offense productive, something that hasnt happened the past 2 years).

chuck had soft schemes, didnt blitz enough or at the right times, and led a team with marginal defensive talent to the bottom of the league. how can you put the blame solely on the players when the coach that was supposed to be putting them in position had no testicular fortitude?

Last edited by dust; 05-08-2008 at 02:04 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-08-2008, 02:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7420

The Giants won the Super Bowl with a great pass rush right? How did they build such a great pass rush? over the years they understood they wanted to get an above average to top end D-Line with good, physical DTs and some great pass rushers. They did it through the draft.

I don't want Peppers.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Rep Points: 251721

Quote:

Aparently Peppers didn't put the fear in anyone last year either with his heafty 2 sacks, and because YOU didn't hear about Odom does not mean the rest of the NFL didn't, this was a guy with 8 sacks in 07' and very active.
I believe our DE's would be considered by most as an above average tandem, and even better with any DT help.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:11 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
just think about this, if we had a good DC with bad players, dont you think the DC would have been kept. chuck has never excelled at this position when he was with us, and there is a reason he was canned to bring in someone tougher. was it the players fault that we were sometimes lined up with a 10 yard cushion on wideouts in the red zone? was it the players fault that hall was often lined up against the fastest reciever, when jjo is our fasted corner?

its a combination of both, but good coaching is what wins you games, unless you have exceptional talent to work with (i.e. Brat, offense, 2005...now that we dont overmatch other teams with our offense, its more on brats shoulders to get the offense productive, something that hasnt happened the past 2 years).

chuck had soft schemes, didnt blitz enough or at the right times, and led a team with marginal defensive talent to the bottom of the league. how can you put the blame solely on the players when the coach that was supposed to be putting them in position had no testicular fortitude?
I don't care if you're Prime Time...nobody can cover a NFL receiver for 6 seconds plus. Our corners are good. We have no pass rush. You can't blame the coach for that.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:13 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 28168

Quote:

He'll get tagged or re-signed.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:14 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkellydugan20 View Post
The Giants won the Super Bowl with a great pass rush right? How did they build such a great pass rush? over the years they understood they wanted to get an above average to top end D-Line with good, physical DTs and some great pass rushers. They did it through the draft.

I don't want Peppers.
What Michael Strahan quality DE have we aquired in the draft over these past years?