Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Smack Talk

Smack Talk Talk trash with fans from opposing teams. Have fun guys and gals, but keep it clean.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 7491
Default Steeler fan celebrities

The Steelers seem to have other teams whipped in yet another category...celebrities.
The only Cincy celeb fans I know are Woody Harrelson and George Clooney...ironically the same amount of Bengals in the HOF....just kidding, there are probably more Bengal celebs....
They just don't want it to be known.

Why do you think so many Steeler fan celebs?

Snoop Dog

Hank Williams Jr.

Bret Michaels

Curt Shilling

Charlie Daniels

Mini Me

Our President (ugh)

Jesus

http://phoenix.fanster.com/2009/01/3...-fan-category/

The Pittsburgh Steelers in Western Pennsylvania are pretty much a religion. “Steeler Nation” is one of the most loyal fan bases in all of sports, and it bleeds over into the celebrity ranks too.

Pretty impressive list for a team from a city that’s not among the 50 biggest in the country, according to U.S. Census figures.

According to Wikipedia, famous Steeler fans include our new President, Barack Obama, comedian/talk show host Dennis Miller, rapper Snoop Dogg, golf legend Arnold Palmer, actors Adam Sandler, Burt Reynolds, Michael Keaton, singers Hank Williams Jr. and Charlie Daniels, and radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:38 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9007
Default Re: Steeler fan celebrities

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanJoe View Post
The Steelers seem to have other teams whipped in yet another category...celebrities.
The only Cincy celeb fans I know are Woody Harrelson and George Clooney...ironically the same amount of Bengals in the HOF....just kidding, there are probably more Bengal celebs....

Snoop Dog

Hank Williams Jr.

Bret Michaels

Curt Shilling

Charlie Daniels

Mini Me

Our President (ugh)

Jesus

The Pittsburgh Steelers in Western Pennsylvania are pretty much a religion. “Steeler Nation” is one of the most loyal fan bases in all of sports, and it bleeds over into the celebrity ranks too.

Pretty impressive list for a team from a city that’s not among the 50 biggest in the country, according to U.S. Census figures.

According to Wikipedia, famous Steeler fans include our new President, Barack Obama, comedian/talk show host Dennis Miller, rapper Snoop Dogg, golf legend Arnold Palmer, actors Adam Sandler, Burt Reynolds, Michael Keaton, singers Hank Williams Jr. and Charlie Daniels, and radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh.

what do you want a cookie.......WHO CARES!!! LMFAO
Old 02-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 31226
steelers Re: Steeler fan celebrities

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushy #2 View Post

You should get over your anger bushy, you have another whole season to get angry all over again,
Old 02-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 7491

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushy #2 View Post
Don't kid yourself little Bushy Boy. You're not really LYFAO. Sounds like you're angry and jealous. While you team of Clowns rots in the basement, you're probably telling yourself that you don't care the Steelers have won their 6th SB either.

Trust me, the next time Hank Williams sings on Monday Night Football, you be thinking of this thread that you could care less about!
Old 02-22-2009, 09:36 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 346

Quote:

Snoop Dog
Hank Williams Jr.
Bret Michaels
Curt Shilling
Charlie Daniels
Mini Me
Our President (ugh)
Jesus
I thought you said celebrities? I don't see a one in that list. But we'll address them one-by-one.

Snoop Dog: Criminal. Quasi entertainer if one can stomach that garbage he dishes up. Celeb? To Who?

Hank WIlliams Jr. Celeb? Somewhat. Steeler fan only because its fashionable. (aka bandwagoner)

Bret Michaels: I think he's a local to Suxburgh, but a celeb? Washed up train wreck reality show tool.

Curt Schilling: (next time get his name right) Don't know about this one..Ok..you can have him..celeb.

Charlie Daniels: Part-time steeler fan, only because he needed a lyric. He's a Titans season ticket holder.

Mini Me (Vern Troyer) You've got to be joking. OK...another one for ya...celeb steeler fan.

President Obama: (see the Mini me entry)

Jesus: That isn't Him. It is HIGHLY documented that His dad hates the steelers. Celeb for steelers? NO.

What else ya got skippy? This list is lame.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:42 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13923

Quote:

Snoop Dog

Hank Williams Jr.

Bret Michaels

Curt Shilling

Charlie Daniels

Mini Me

Our President (ugh)

Jesus

With the exception of barack obama, there is barely one person on your list that is still relevant today.

Why not include mark hamill and the guy that played bull on night court while youre at it?
Old 02-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Rep Points: 110414

Quote:
Because they're all ex-steel mill workers that fled Pittsburgh when the mills closed in the 70s?
Old 02-23-2009, 12:09 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 61442

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnglfan4evr View Post
I thought you said celebrities? I don't see a one in that list. But we'll address them one-by-one.

Snoop Dog: Criminal. Quasi entertainer if one can stomach that garbage he dishes up. Celeb? To Who?

Hank WIlliams Jr. Celeb? Somewhat. Steeler fan only because its fashionable. (aka bandwagoner)

Bret Michaels: I think he's a local to Suxburgh, but a celeb? Washed up train wreck reality show tool.

Curt Schilling: (next time get his name right) Don't know about this one..Ok..you can have him..celeb.

Charlie Daniels: Part-time steeler fan, only because he needed a lyric. He's a Titans season ticket holder.

Mini Me (Vern Troyer) You've got to be joking. OK...another one for ya...celeb steeler fan.

President Obama: (see the Mini me entry)

Jesus: That isn't Him. It is HIGHLY documented that His dad hates the steelers. Celeb for steelers? NO.

What else ya got skippy? This list is lame.
Not as lame as your serious reply to it.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:10 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34inXXIII View Post

Because they're all ex-steel mill workers that fled Pittsburgh when the mills closed in the 70s?
Where do you think Snoop Dog learned how to choke that smoke?
Old 02-23-2009, 07:05 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 569

Bret Michaels is from PIttsburgh.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:01 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5620

Quote:
....not that there is anything wrong with that

Carson Palmer:
"I keep thinking about how much, back in college, I hated UCLA," Palmer told SI's Michael Silver.
"I hate the Steelers more than I hate UCLA. Yeah, it's because I'm jealous and want what they have.
It's how everybody in our locker room feels".
Old 02-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Time View Post
....not that there is anything wrong with that
Nothing wrong with it at all, but there is a remarkable irony in seeing a Steelers fan pimping how the team has more celebrity fans than any other just a mere days after some of the team's fans on this forum were trying to rationalize the team's large, widespread fan base with the "ex-steel mill worker" theory.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 31226
steelers Re: Steeler fan celebrities

Quote:
Nothing wrong with it at all, but there is a remarkable irony in seeing a Steelers fan pimping how the team has more celebrity fans than any other just a mere days after some of the team's fans on this forum were trying to rationalize the team's large, widespread fan base with the "ex-steel mill worker" theory.

You seem to have an issue with steel workers 34, how come?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:13 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 11567

Why isn't Rush on your list? Now that's a big time celebrity.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman59 View Post
You seem to have an issue with steel workers 34, how come?
You seem to have an issue with reading comprehension.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:29 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 17132

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsean View Post
Why isn't Rush on your list? Now that's a big time celebrity.
Especially if you're given to typing "ugh" when you post a picture of Obama ...
Old 02-23-2009, 10:31 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Why is that ironic? Do you see the two as being somehow mutually exclusive?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-Steelerfan View Post
Why is that ironic? Do you see the two as being somehow mutually exclusive?
Mutually exclusive? Not necessarily. Largely exclusive? I think that's pretty safe.

Of course, I suppose you guys have convinced yourself that everyone is a descendant of an ex-steel mill worker from Pittsburgh. That would explain the Jesus photo.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:57 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Mutually exclusive? Not necessarily. Largely exclusive? I think that's pretty safe.

Of course, I suppose you guys have convinced yourself that everyone is a descendant of an ex-steel mill worker from Pittsburgh. That would explain the Jesus photo.
You still don't get it. Most of us don't all think that the ex-steel worker theory is the only reason for the large Steeler fan base, but rather that it is a pretty good explanation for why the Steelers' following is even larger than the bandwagon most championship teams genearate. It also explains why they had such a large following two decades after the 70s (but before the recent championship run of this decade could create a lot of bandwagonism).

Earlier this decade when the Patriots were tearing it up, you didn't see as many Patriots fans showing up at away games as you do Steeler fans. And when I went to see the Steelers play at Giants Stadium in 2004 (before they won their recent championships), there were a ton of Steeler jerseys and terrible towels there. Even if many of those fans started following in the 70s, can you count it as "bandwagon" if they're still around nearly 3 decades later? Back in 2004, the Steelers were following a 6-10 2003 season and hadn't won a championship for a quarter of a century.

So, is the "Pittsburgh Diaspora" the only reason for the Steelers' fan success? Of course not. But that doesn't mean it's not a legitmate theory nonetheless.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-Steelerfan View Post
Even if many of those fans started following in the 70s, can you count it as "bandwagon" if they're still around nearly 3 decades later?
Yes. Most of those you describe in that statement were bandwagon fans.

I think you're the one not getting it....or one of many Steelers fans who get so defensive when anyone dares to mention Steelers and bandwagon in the same sentence. Whenever I've discussed this topic, I've always referenced how the great Steelers fan base was built back in the 70s, not its makeup today.

I'm sure there is some legitimacy to this "ex-steel mill worker" theory. However, the issue is that it seems most Steelers fans put far too much stock into this and refuse to admit that the biggest reason the fan base is so large and so well represented today is because of the team's dynasty in the 70s because that would mean they would have to admit that the Steelers fan base was built largely on bandwagonners.

Seriously, do you really think Steelers fans would be as well represented in all these stadiums across the country if not for those four Steel Curtain championship teams?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:28 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

Yes. Most of those you describe in that statement were bandwagon fans.

I think you're the one not getting it....or one of many Steelers fans who get so defensive when anyone dares to mention Steelers and bandwagon in the same sentence. Whenever I've discussed this topic, I've always referenced how the great Steelers fan base was built back in the 70s, not its makeup today.

I'm sure there is some legitimacy to this "ex-steel mill worker" theory. However, the issue is that it seems most Steelers fans put far too much stock into this and refuse to admit that the biggest reason the fan base is so large and so well represented today is because of the team's dynasty in the 70s because that would mean they would have to admit that the Steelers fan base was built largely on bandwagonners.

Seriously, do you really think Steelers fans would be as well represented in all these stadiums across the country if not for those four Steel Curtain championship teams?
Is it "bandwagon" to root for the team from your hometown?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely_J View Post
Is it "bandwagon" to root for the team from your hometown?
So all Steelers fans are from Pittsburgh? I think this goes back to a comment I made earlier in this thread....
Quote:
Old 02-23-2009, 11:38 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

So all Steelers fans are from Pittsburgh? I think this goes back to a comment I made earlier in this thread....
Well of course not,.. but I'm willing to wager a good majority of them have some kind of tie to Pittsburgh.

Hey I dunno what the draw is.. I got it too. When you have some kind of tie to Pittsburgh, you just wanna go there. Ask Blitzburg06.. he's never even been to Pittsburgh and wants to go.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 4426

taken from the steelers wiiki section

Some notable fans include Barack Obama (after the Chicago Bear), golf legend Arnold Palmer, Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling , boxer Roy Jones, Jr., CIA Director and retired four-star general Michael Hayden, author John Grisham,, Bishop Thomas Joseph Tobin of the Diocese of Providence, Rhode Island, actors Adam Sandler, Burt Reynolds, Jeff Goldblum, & Michael Keaton[45], ******* star Chris Pontius, singers Hank Williams, Jr.,Bret Michaels, Charlie Daniels, & Snoop Dogg, professional wrestler Kurt Angle, Saturday Night Live alums comedian Dennis Miller, and Seth Meyers, conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh, among others.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:43 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griever View Post
taken from the steelers wiiki section

Some notable fans include Barack Obama (after the Chicago Bear), golf legend Arnold Palmer, Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling , boxer Roy Jones, Jr., CIA Director and retired four-star general Michael Hayden, author John Grisham,, Bishop Thomas Joseph Tobin of the Diocese of Providence, Rhode Island, actors Adam Sandler, Burt Reynolds, Jeff Goldblum, & Michael Keaton[45], ******* star Chris Pontius, singers Hank Williams, Jr.,Bret Michaels, Charlie Daniels, & Snoop Dogg, professional wrestler Kurt Angle, Saturday Night Live alums comedian Dennis Miller, and Seth Meyers, conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh, among others.
Awesome.