Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch > Politics and Religion

Politics and Religion A place to discuss religion and politics. Have your debates etc., but continue to follow the CoC. Remember just because someone may not agree with your beliefs is no reason to criticize their values.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-25-2009, 05:07 PM
bengals_in_miami's Avatar
bengals_in_miami bengals_in_miami is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CTU Los Angeles on a covert mission w/ Jack Bauer
Posts: 4,375
Rep Points: 6240
Default Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

In a lot of articles I read about how Cincinnati is known as a racist city. Where is this coming from? We've had plenty of black city councilmen, like Mark Mallory recently (even though he can't throw a baseball). I'll admit we haven't had a black representative to the House.

For example, the was an article on the front page of ESPN a few days ago, an article about the Bengals "futility". On the comment section many claimed Cincinnati as a racist city. I realize Cincinnati is one of the most recent to have a race riot. Even still, what about LA in '92? What about the recent violence in Oakland? What about Boston being the last city by several years to have black players on any sports team, namely the red sox? Does anyone remember the Underground Railroad going into...Cincinnati? What about that giant building in between GABP and Paul Brown?

/Rant
__________________
  #2  
Old 08-25-2009, 05:12 PM
busamboy's Avatar
busamboy busamboy is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: liberty township
Posts: 9,093
Rep Points: 41165
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

This is the only city where I have lived (even in all my travels with the military) where all I hear is N word this and N word that when my black friends aren't around (of course, cause that is what all female dogs do). It really ****** me off.

But don't get it twisted, from what I have seen. We are the same way with all the other races too, especially Hispanics. Oh, and the way that people stare at you in this city for being a interracial couple. This city is definitely racist, and it doesn't help that the cops do profile. No matter how much most of you don't like to admit it.

This city is by far the worst when it comes to that then any place that I have been, and I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Now that I think of it, it may be because we are like the only major city that doesn't really attract many cultures when it comes to tourism. I think that may have a lot to do with it too.
__________________
The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by busamboy; 08-25-2009 at 05:15 PM.
  #3  
Old 08-25-2009, 05:14 PM
EatonFan's Avatar
EatonFan EatonFan is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,828
Rep Points: 22074
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals_in_miami View Post
In a lot of articles I read about how Cincinnati is known as a racist city. Where is this coming from? We've had plenty of black city councilmen, like Mark Mallory recently (even though he can't throw a baseball). I'll admit we haven't had a black representative to the House.

For example, the was an article on the front page of ESPN a few days ago, an article about the Bengals "futility". On the comment section many claimed Cincinnati as a racist city. I realize Cincinnati is one of the most recent to have a race riot. Even still, what about LA in '92? What about the recent violence in Oakland? What about Boston being the last city by several years to have black players on any sports team, namely the red sox? Does anyone remember the Underground Railroad going into...Cincinnati? What about that giant building in between GABP and Paul Brown?

/Rant
The building in between GABP and Paul Brown stadium...

Ever see any Blacks leave that building??? (It's a trap!!!!)


Nah. I really don't know the answer. I don't venture down into Cincinnati much really. Occasional ball game (Reds, Bengals), but not really much else. I will say I can not recall any non-Black panhandlers, but that's all I've noticed as far as race. Reds games however are overwhelmingly Whites. Not sure what that says either.
__________________
C:\Users\Bryan\Pictures\girls-500-12
  #4  
Old 08-25-2009, 05:20 PM
EatonFan's Avatar
EatonFan EatonFan is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,828
Rep Points: 22074
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by busamboy View Post
This is the only city where I have lived (even in all my travels with the military) where all I hear is N word this and N word that when my black friends aren't around (of course, cause that is what all female dogs do). It really ****** me off.

But don't get it twisted, from what I have seen. We are the same way with all the other races too, especially Hispanics. Oh, and the way that people stare at you in this city for being a interracial couple. This city is definitely racist, and it doesn't help that the cops do profile. No matter how much most of you don't like to admit it.

This city is by far the worst when it comes to that then any place that I have been, and I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Now that I think of it, it may be because we are like the only major city that doesn't really attract many cultures when it comes to tourism. I think that may have a lot to do with it too.
Just took a trip to NY city and I heard the N word a couple times, but only from Blacks.

Hadn't thought of attracting multi-cultures, but honestly many cities don't. Detroit? Atlanta? Cleveland? Indianapolis? Pittsburgh? I can't say as any of these cities really have a ton of differing cultures in them. NY City does for sure though. Shoot I think NYC is half ... possibly less, White. It goes anywhere from Asian to Afghani to Black to Hispanic to White. I heard a ton of languages there.
__________________
C:\Users\Bryan\Pictures\girls-500-12
  #5  
Old 08-25-2009, 05:20 PM
bengals_in_miami's Avatar
bengals_in_miami bengals_in_miami is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CTU Los Angeles on a covert mission w/ Jack Bauer
Posts: 4,375
Rep Points: 6240
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

At least within the city, black and white is about the same population wise. It's probably more white in Greater Cincinnati.

Busam, do you have any proof that cops profile? A friend of mine is captain (or chief?) of Cincinnati police, and I've never heard him say anything racist in or out of uniform. And it's not fair to generalize an entire city because you were around a few racist people.
__________________
  #6  
Old 08-25-2009, 05:25 PM
busamboy's Avatar
busamboy busamboy is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: liberty township
Posts: 9,093
Rep Points: 41165
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals_in_miami View Post
At least within the city, black and white is about the same population wise. It's probably more white in Greater Cincinnati.

Busam, do you have any proof that cops profile? A friend of mine is captain (or chief?) of Cincinnati police, and I've never heard him say anything racist in or out of uniform. And it's not fair to generalize an entire city because you were around a few racist people.
Its a business, I don't need proof. Cops need to make busts, they need to keep the jails full to get paid. Where is the easiest places to do that? It isn't suburbia where everything is hidden and it takes detectives and actual police work to find one guy. They are going to be where it gets down and dirty.

I know for a fact that the same drug and alcohol crimes are committed in the suburbs, I even had my own business for a while when I was younger. I knew 5 people in a 2 block radius that also owned their own business. None of us ever got caught, or got in trouble, but we were guilty of many of the same crimes that we see the poorer parts of town get in trouble for.

edit: I needed to add just one thing. It isn't racial profiling that I am necessarily talking about here. It is profiling in general. It is profiling based on class. Most of the middle class in our area feel like they are somehow better than the lower classes. I think that mindset carries into the police force as well as the schools and everything else, which in turn, makes the class profiling in this city seem the same as racial profiling just based on the way the city is set up with that mindset. Its like, if you are poor, you only live in certain parts of town and that is it.
__________________
The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by busamboy; 08-25-2009 at 05:37 PM.
  #7  
Old 08-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Who2Dey's Avatar
Who2Dey Who2Dey is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: here
Posts: 9,934
Rep Points: 25797
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

Well having traveled to many big cities, Cincy is behind the times for sure. Nationwide it may get that tag because of the riots a few years ago. A few cops did their job wrong vs black citizens and there is an uprising. BUT trust me, bad policework isn't racist. My white friends have been victims of overzealous cops.

Cincy has it's share of rednecks. The highways play as a pipeline directly from appalachia too here. Many people most likely have roots from E KY or WV.

I actually work with a guy that is from Indiana. He said before he got the job in cincinnati, that he'd never seen a black person in his LIFE. Imagine that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerthis View Post
A weeping woman (guilty or innocent) will be comforted.
I've never hit a woman in my life, but I've seen on more than one occasion where violence was needed to bring unruly women under control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan4life27c View Post
Its not like flattened her with a closed fist. She was rudely bothering him for an autograph.She drilled him right in the eye with a full glass of beer as a natural reaction he got angry and smacked her hard. It could have and probably has happened to quite a few people
  #8  
Old 08-25-2009, 05:29 PM
busamboy's Avatar
busamboy busamboy is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: liberty township
Posts: 9,093
Rep Points: 41165
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

I'm going to apologize right now, I shouldn't have even posted in this thread yet. We have had these discussions before. If you really want to see what the board has said before, look at the search feature. I just don't have the time to do long answers that this thread is going to require right now. I should have just kept my head low for a few more days. I have to study for an exam that is pretty difficult and I just come on here during breaks.
__________________
The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
  #9  
Old 08-25-2009, 05:42 PM
bengals_in_miami's Avatar
bengals_in_miami bengals_in_miami is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CTU Los Angeles on a covert mission w/ Jack Bauer
Posts: 4,375
Rep Points: 6240
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

Even though you aren't going to reply busam, I'll respond anyway if anyone chooses to pick it up where you left off.

I understand the class distinction. For example, many people assume that the catholic schools are leaps and bounds ahead of Oak Hills and other public schools, and therefore they're better then the people who go to public. In fact, Oak Hills is a much harder school than any catholic school, as we don't have free off days and offer many more AP classes. And yet the catholic schools stick their noses out at public schools. However, I don't think you can criticize police officers for going to Over The Rhine for crime compared to suburbia. Yeah, alcohol and drug violations with minors is going to happen everywhere. But last time I checked, you're more likely to see a crime occur in OTR than middle-class suburbia. Does that have to do with race? No. It's just a fact that people that are poor are more likely to turn to crime.

As for Cincinnati being a pipeline for red necks, what about Pittsburgh or Indy? They're fairly close to Cincy and aren't considered racist.
__________________
  #10  
Old 08-25-2009, 05:50 PM
busamboy's Avatar
busamboy busamboy is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: liberty township
Posts: 9,093
Rep Points: 41165
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals_in_miami View Post
Even though you aren't going to reply busam, I'll respond anyway if anyone chooses to pick it up where you left off.

I understand the class distinction. For example, many people assume that the catholic schools are leaps and bounds ahead of Oak Hills and other public schools, and therefore they're better then the people who go to public. In fact, Oak Hills is a much harder school than any catholic school, as we don't have free off days and offer many more AP classes. And yet the catholic schools stick their noses out at public schools. However, I don't think you can criticize police officers for going to Over The Rhine for crime compared to suburbia. Yeah, alcohol and drug violations with minors is going to happen everywhere. But last time I checked, you're more likely to see a crime occur in OTR than middle-class suburbia. Does that have to do with race? No. It's just a fact that people that are poor are more likely to turn to crime.

As for Cincinnati being a pipeline for red necks, what about Pittsburgh or Indy? They're fairly close to Cincy and aren't considered racist.
I think that class distinction is where this racism comes from. Most black people in this city are poor, even though we have quite a few outstanding citizens and black people in every walk of life and class there is in cinci. I just think that the class thing leads to the name calling behind peoples backs. Like I said, even some of my friends that I never thought would feel the way they do, have openly said the n word to me after there is no black people around. It only feeds the seperation that there shouldn't be. Then those same people claim they have black friends, but those are only the ones that are in their class. Anyone below their class, or someone dressed up in baggy clothes is a N. It is pretty stupid, but I have seen it with just about everyone that I hang out with.

I also think that that mentality works the other way, humans can tell when another person doesn't have trust or respect in you. This lower class gets no favors from the middle class, there is no trust and no relationship between these 2 classes. I think that is what feeds the fire in this city.

On another note, this is the only city that I have gone to where when you get directions from a white person, they tell you what streets to not turn on downtown cause you will get killed or they tell you someone will steal your car during the day.
__________________
The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
  #11  
Old 08-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Waynesboro KennyG's Avatar
Waynesboro KennyG Waynesboro KennyG is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West Union, Illinois
Posts: 4,628
Rep Points: 21796
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

I lived on the west side for about 3 years and I never saw any of this that some of you are talking about. In fact, if nobody had said anything and someone asked me, I would have said Cincy is color blind.
__________________
  #12  
Old 08-25-2009, 06:58 PM
bengals_in_miami's Avatar
bengals_in_miami bengals_in_miami is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CTU Los Angeles on a covert mission w/ Jack Bauer
Posts: 4,375
Rep Points: 6240
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynesboro KennyG View Post
I lived on the west side for about 3 years and I never saw any of this that some of you are talking about. In fact, if nobody had said anything and someone asked me, I would have said Cincy is color blind.
Same with me, except it's been 17 years. Sure, we don't have that large of a black population, but they're treated like everybody else.
__________________
  #13  
Old 08-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Jumbro's Avatar
Jumbro Jumbro is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati/Middletown
Posts: 6,063
Rep Points: 20304
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals_in_miami View Post
Even though you aren't going to reply busam, I'll respond anyway if anyone chooses to pick it up where you left off.

I understand the class distinction. For example, many people assume that the catholic schools are leaps and bounds ahead of Oak Hills and other public schools, and therefore they're better then the people who go to public. In fact, Oak Hills is a much harder school than any catholic school, as we don't have free off days and offer many more AP classes. And yet the catholic schools stick their noses out at public schools. However, I don't think you can criticize police officers for going to Over The Rhine for crime compared to suburbia. Yeah, alcohol and drug violations with minors is going to happen everywhere. But last time I checked, you're more likely to see a crime occur in OTR than middle-class suburbia. Does that have to do with race? No. It's just a fact that people that are poor are more likely to turn to crime.

As for Cincinnati being a pipeline for red necks, what about Pittsburgh or Indy? They're fairly close to Cincy and aren't considered racist.
Seriously...really? So test scores mean nothing? You have more options than the smaller Catholic schools because you are a HUGE school system. That being said, Oak Hills is one of the few public school systems I respect in Cincinnati...but still, to say it is MUCH harder than ANY Catholic school is just flat out CRAZY!

Yes, I'm bias as I'm a product of Catholic schools grade 1-post graduate and have been teaching at one for my entire teaching career...I also have seen a lot of the FACTS behind what makes schools work and not work as well.
__________________

"Act like you've been there before!" Yes, "Steelers Nation", YOU TOO

"Mike Brown is to Paul Brown what Dave Shula is to Don." --BengalUSCFan
  #14  
Old 08-25-2009, 08:09 PM
EatonFan's Avatar
EatonFan EatonFan is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,828
Rep Points: 22074
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by busamboy View Post
On another note, this is the only city that I have gone to where when you get directions from a white person, they tell you what streets to not turn on downtown cause you will get killed or they tell you someone will steal your car during the day.
That's not a function of race... that's a function of crime.
__________________
C:\Users\Bryan\Pictures\girls-500-12
  #15  
Old 08-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Who2Dey's Avatar
Who2Dey Who2Dey is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: here
Posts: 9,934
Rep Points: 25797
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals_in_miami View Post
Same with me, except it's been 17 years. Sure, we don't have that large of a black population, but they're treated like everybody else.
depends where you are. It definitely has its spots, mainly where ever the white trash decides to segregate itself. The further out you go the more noticeable it is. May not be considered "the city of cincinnati" but is the "greater cincinnati area"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerthis View Post
A weeping woman (guilty or innocent) will be comforted.
I've never hit a woman in my life, but I've seen on more than one occasion where violence was needed to bring unruly women under control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan4life27c View Post
Its not like flattened her with a closed fist. She was rudely bothering him for an autograph.She drilled him right in the eye with a full glass of beer as a natural reaction he got angry and smacked her hard. It could have and probably has happened to quite a few people
  #16  
Old 08-25-2009, 08:41 PM
RhythmicGeek's Avatar
RhythmicGeek RhythmicGeek is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Quick Stop
Posts: 22,805
Rep Points: 35996
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals_in_miami View Post

As for Cincinnati being a pipeline for red necks, what about Pittsburgh or Indy? They're fairly close to Cincy and aren't considered racist.
I couldn't tell you how long it's been since I've been inside the city of Pittsburgh, but I can say the surrounding area is sure as hell racist. A friend of mine stayed a month up in the area, he and I often talk about his experiences (he's a black guy). We talk about how once you get outside of the city, there is not a black person to be found it seems, and the people are racist.
__________________
http://boards.bengals.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19598&dateline=140958  0108
  #17  
Old 08-25-2009, 08:57 PM
bengals_in_miami's Avatar
bengals_in_miami bengals_in_miami is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CTU Los Angeles on a covert mission w/ Jack Bauer
Posts: 4,375
Rep Points: 6240
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbro View Post
Seriously...really? So test scores mean nothing? You have more options than the smaller Catholic schools because you are a HUGE school system. That being said, Oak Hills is one of the few public school systems I respect in Cincinnati...but still, to say it is MUCH harder than ANY Catholic school is just flat out CRAZY!

Yes, I'm bias as I'm a product of Catholic schools grade 1-post graduate and have been teaching at one for my entire teaching career...I also have seen a lot of the FACTS behind what makes schools work and not work as well.
Test scores don't mean anything because the catholic schools get to pick and choose, while oak hills has to take everyone.

And yes, oak hills is harder. Prime examples: I had a 4.0 in middle school with nothing below a 92%. My friend was a A's and B's and some C's student. He went to elder and he's gotten nothing but A's in the first 2 years. The exact same situation happened with a friend from st. X. I have gotten mostly A's but some B's at oak hills. Also, st. X students have 45 mins for lunch plus a 45 min flex time in which once or twice a week they actually have class. They also are off or don't have classes about 15 Fridays in a year. Oak hills students get a max of 3 days off (besides holidays) a year.

Convinced?
__________________

Last edited by bengals_in_miami; 08-25-2009 at 09:00 PM.
  #18  
Old 08-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Jumbro's Avatar
Jumbro Jumbro is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati/Middletown
Posts: 6,063
Rep Points: 20304
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals_in_miami View Post
Test scores don't mean anything because the catholic schools get to pick and choose, while oak hills has to take everyone.

And yes, oak hills is harder. Prime examples: I had a 4.0 in middle school with nothing below a 92%. My friend was a A's and B's and some C's student. He went to elder and he's gotten nothing but A's in the first 2 years. The exact same situation happened with a friend from st. X. I have gotten mostly A's but some B's at oak hills. Also, st. X students have 45 mins for lunch plus a 45 min flex time in which once or twice a week they actually have class. They also are off or don't have classes about 15 Fridays in a year. Oak hills students get a max of 3 days off (besides holidays) a year.

Convinced?

Went to LaSalle...don't remember getting off 15 Fridays in a year man. Also, only ONE of the Male Catholic schools really chooses who their students are. Most of the Catholic schools will take anyone willing to come in as long as they are willing to follow our rules. Catholic schools have proven to do the most with the least privelaged as well. A scholar who has ever thing there at their disposal will succeed at any school. Catholic schools do their best work with those students who come in below "normal" levels, with a lower than normal amount of "aids" at their disposal.

In the end, the education relies MOSTLY on the home atmosphere and mentality about education. But, son, to say test scores don't mean anything is flat out crazy--they should not be the "Be all, end all" but they mean something and they prove A LOT.
'

By the way, to get back on topic A LITTLE...I think the divide between Catholic school attendees/parents and public school is MUCH greater in Cincinnati than most areas and I think that divide is actually greater than any racial divide or economic divide in the city. I'm cool with that though, personally
__________________

"Act like you've been there before!" Yes, "Steelers Nation", YOU TOO

"Mike Brown is to Paul Brown what Dave Shula is to Don." --BengalUSCFan

Last edited by Jumbro; 08-25-2009 at 09:40 PM.
  #19  
Old 08-25-2009, 09:41 PM
bengals_in_miami's Avatar
bengals_in_miami bengals_in_miami is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CTU Los Angeles on a covert mission w/ Jack Bauer
Posts: 4,375
Rep Points: 6240
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

I meant to say St. X, not all catholic schools get off that much.

To say they accept anyone just isn't true. I know of several people who weren't from here that took the entry test for both elder and st. X and weren't accepted, even though people with relatives that went there got accepted, even though I would say the rejected most likely performed better on the test.

Admit it, people go to catholic schools and parents send their kids there to root for the best football team.

As for test scores, I'm not so sure that the catholic schools are higher. In fact, it's impossible. Oak Hills District received an excellence with distinction last year, the highest possible rating the state gives out for standardized testing. That's WITH the handicap of not being selective.
__________________
  #20  
Old 08-25-2009, 09:57 PM
BANJAXED's Avatar
BANJAXED BANJAXED is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OAKLEY
Posts: 23,009
Rep Points: 56334
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals_in_miami View Post
I meant to say St. X, not all catholic schools get off that much.

To say they accept anyone just isn't true. I know of several people who weren't from here that took the entry test for both elder and st. X and weren't accepted, even though people with relatives that went there got accepted, even though I would say the rejected most likely performed better on the test.

Admit it, people go to catholic schools and parents send their kids there to root for the best football team.

As for test scores, I'm not so sure that the catholic schools are higher. In fact, it's impossible. Oak Hills District received an excellence with distinction last year, the highest possible rating the state gives out for standardized testing. That's WITH the handicap of not being selective.
I went to Columbus St. Francis DeSales - I went there for the opportunity to get noticed by colleges for both Academics and Athletics - I went for the structure as well.

Dress shirt, ties, pants, nice shoes - its a business and something I think more kids need at that age

it set me up for what I am doing now and personally the best decision I ever made.

edit: my father in law went to St. X and my wife's God Father went to Moeller - both extremely successful - I actually dont know any alumni from those schools that aren't?
__________________

Last edited by BANJAXED; 08-25-2009 at 10:00 PM.
  #21  
Old 08-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Jumbro's Avatar
Jumbro Jumbro is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati/Middletown
Posts: 6,063
Rep Points: 20304
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals_in_miami View Post
I meant to say St. X, not all catholic schools get off that much.

To say they accept anyone just isn't true. I know of several people who weren't from here that took the entry test for both elder and st. X and weren't accepted, even though people with relatives that went there got accepted, even though I would say the rejected most likely performed better on the test.

Admit it, people go to catholic schools and parents send their kids there to root for the best football team.

As for test scores, I'm not so sure that the catholic schools are higher. In fact, it's impossible. Oak Hills District received an excellence with distinction last year, the highest possible rating the state gives out for standardized testing. That's WITH the handicap of not being selective.
Did you not hear me say I went to LaSalle ?!?!?!
__________________

"Act like you've been there before!" Yes, "Steelers Nation", YOU TOO

"Mike Brown is to Paul Brown what Dave Shula is to Don." --BengalUSCFan
  #22  
Old 08-25-2009, 10:41 PM
bengals_in_miami's Avatar
bengals_in_miami bengals_in_miami is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CTU Los Angeles on a covert mission w/ Jack Bauer
Posts: 4,375
Rep Points: 6240
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbro View Post
Did you not hear me say I went to LaSalle ?!?!?!
Sorry, I'm mainly focusing on St. X and Elder since LaSalle has kind of faltered as of late.

As for getting noticed my colleges, I think being top 30 in a class of 800 is slightly more impressive than a class of 200.

I do agree with wearing the khaki pants and dress shirt. It's just that strictly education wise, I believe Oak Hills is better or the very least the same.


Anyway, back on topic. If that's possible.
__________________
  #23  
Old 08-26-2009, 08:03 AM
BANJAXED's Avatar
BANJAXED BANJAXED is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OAKLEY
Posts: 23,009
Rep Points: 56334
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals_in_miami View Post
Sorry, I'm mainly focusing on St. X and Elder since LaSalle has kind of faltered as of late.

As for getting noticed my colleges, I think being top 30 in a class of 800 is slightly more impressive than a class of 200.

I do agree with wearing the khaki pants and dress shirt. It's just that strictly education wise, I believe Oak Hills is better or the very least the same.


Anyway, back on topic. If that's possible.
sure, % wise - but not if the top 100 out of the 200 would all be with the top 100 of the 800

quality overr quantity (not saying public isnt quality here)

and quick note - 'rankings' are all nice and good - but this is why private is private and public is public and they dont intermingle rankings among each other (for the most part) - i think this mostly has to do with state funding vs diocese funding
__________________
  #24  
Old 08-26-2009, 08:05 AM
Jumbro's Avatar
Jumbro Jumbro is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati/Middletown
Posts: 6,063
Rep Points: 20304
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals_in_miami View Post
Sorry, I'm mainly focusing on St. X and Elder since LaSalle has kind of faltered as of late.

As for getting noticed my colleges, I think being top 30 in a class of 800 is slightly more impressive than a class of 200.

I do agree with wearing the khaki pants and dress shirt. It's just that strictly education wise, I believe Oak Hills is better or the very least the same.


Anyway, back on topic. If that's possible.

So you are basing all of your statements on 2 of the 15 Catholic high schools in Cincinnati and 21 in the entire archdiocese? Well, whatever you say man. You will have that powerhouse football team to cheer for at Oak Hills now though since you have cut the dead weight as you remove the GCL from your schedule

And to stay on topic as well, I truly believe that this divide is much larger than the divide of race or economic class in Cincinnati. The town is VERY Catholic to begin with which historically means there was segregation of cultures (national churches...look in the heart of local cities and notice that there used to be--if not still area--a number of churches within stone's throw of each other). I do not think this is bad, I think this was a "safety net". People wanted to be with like people as they settled. It allowed their culture to survive and allowed for a feeling of safety. I think that feeling is still in this area especially in closer knit areas such as the the different areas of the "west side". It eventually grew to be more than just nationality though. Look around...most people live near others with the same values they hold, goals, priorities, etc. I do not think there is anything wrong with that at all as long as their is not hatred towards others who differ (dislike is ok, but dislike is just an opinion--hatred, in my eyes, comes with actions which are harmful).
__________________

"Act like you've been there before!" Yes, "Steelers Nation", YOU TOO

"Mike Brown is to Paul Brown what Dave Shula is to Don." --BengalUSCFan
  #25  
Old 08-26-2009, 08:08 AM
Joe from Florence Joe from Florence is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 43,663
Rep Points: 0
Default Re: Why is Cincinnati considered a racist city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals_in_miami View Post
In a lot of articles I read about how Cincinnati is known as a racist city. Where is this coming from? We've had plenty of black city councilmen, like Mark Mallory recently (even though he can't throw a baseball). I'll admit we haven't had a black representative to the House.

For example, the was an article on the front page of ESPN a few days ago, an article about the Bengals "futility". On the comment section many claimed Cincinnati as a racist city. I realize Cincinnati is one of the most recent to have a race riot. Even still, what about LA in '92? What about the recent violence in Oakland? What about Boston being the last city by several years to have black players on any sports team, namely the red sox? Does anyone remember the Underground Railroad going into...Cincinnati? What about that giant building in between GABP and Paul Brown?

/Rant
it's because the majority of the councilmen are racist and anything that happens and is reported in the news usually has to do with an african american shooting another and they think everyone is being racist for reporting it.
 

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.