Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

View Poll Results: Did the Bengals really care last night?
Yes 19 20.43%
No 74 79.57%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2010, 01:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1381
Default Did the Bengals really care last night?

I was watching the post game news conference and seeing Marvin's reaction. At one point it looked like he was hiding a smile. He wasn't fired up, he wasn't angry at all. He just said we didn't want to lose a game and we did. Carson also came up and didn't say much more than "It won't happen next week". My question is....did they even care? I understand resting some of our starters in a not so meaningful game but as Collinsworth said in game "There's a difference between getting blown out and getting embarrassed." Here's my question, do you think the Bengals really even cared? Or do you think they were just waiting for next week and didn't want to show any of their packages for next week?
Old 01-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 29
Default Re: Did the Bengals really care last night?

They intentionally did this and I don't blame them. I think the game plan was to let the jet's play hard, hope for a few minor injuries from them trying but unfortunately we ended up shooting ourselves in the foot. (sims)
Old 01-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 0

If I rmember correctly. I believe chris or Al which ever it was had siad, they had talked to marvin and he said something like not showing the game plan. commented on how to install one with 2 weeks of preperation for the jets. Or maybe i heard more then what was said. In any case I am bumped to see how the team responds and saturday cant get here quick enough.

WHO DEY!
Old 01-04-2010, 01:51 PM
VIP Silver Member

I remember hearing that too, something about Marvin actually liked it better because he had 2 weeks to put in a package.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:57 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBengal9 View Post
I remember hearing that too, something about Marvin actually liked it better because he had 2 weeks to put in a package.
That was my thought too, when I heard it...

If Marvin.. was planning to see then again.. He obviously was not "planning" to win..
Old 01-04-2010, 01:59 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 20926

plus would you rather let the Jets in the playoffs or help the Steelers get in? tough call.

For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. John 3:17

"One hundred years from my day there will not be a Bible in the earth except one that is looked upon by an antiquarian curiosity seeker." - Voltaire
He certainly was wrong about that.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 18

Quote:
I was watching the post game news conference and seeing Marvin's reaction. At one point it looked like he was hiding a smile. He wasn't fired up, he wasn't angry at all. He just said we didn't want to lose a game and we did. Carson also came up and didn't say much more than "It won't happen next week". My question is....did they even care? I understand resting some of our starters in a not so meaningful game but as Collinsworth said in game "There's a difference between getting blown out and getting embarrassed." Here's my question, do you think the Bengals really even cared? Or do you think they were just waiting for next week and didn't want to show any of their packages for next week?
I don't think the Bengals played hard last night, and by the end of the 1st quarter, any desire they may have had to win was gone, that said...

By the time the playoffs happen, there's very little a team can hide from another team. What the Bengals and Jets are going to do next week is pretty much well documented. To say that the Bengals just tried to hide their secret plan for next week and not give away any info is just silly. They've given up the info on who they are all year long, there aren't going to be any big surprises by any team next weak. The team that wins will be the team that physically dominates on both sides of the ball, not the one that's managed to hide what it 'really' does on offense and defense all year long.

The Bengals didn't play to win last night. I don't think they ever imagined they'd get embarassed like that, but this idea that it's some sort of 'hustle' into luring the Jets (or any other team) into some sort of trap where they won't be able to figure out formations or 'packages' is just the stuff for fans and tv commentators to argue about. The Bengals, without some of their starters got manhandled last night. Next week will probably be different... I predict a pretty good game against some fairly evenly matched teams.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:01 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 2085

I sure hope they didn't care otherwise we are in for some trouble come saturday night.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3835

To be honest, I didn't even care. The Bengals secured a playoff spot, and a 3rd seed wouldn't really help them any. By allowing the Jets in, Houston was kept out. And you can bet your sweet butt that the level of competitiveness will rise significantly against the Jets in the playoffs.

Truth is, I think the Bengals made an intended strategic move to mislead the Jets.

The Sims injury definitely hurts, but if Peko and Crocker are back as planned, the rushing yards will be much harder for the Jets to come by. And on the other side, Benson will obviously be a boost to our run game.

The next game will be much more aggressive. I just hope the passing game is there when we need it.

If life deals you lemons, squeeze lemon juice into the eyes of your enemies.
----
Old 01-04-2010, 02:02 PM
VIP Silver Member

Location: So far out that the Sun sets between my place & town
Rep Points: 7135

No they didn't care. The eyes are the windows to the soul, and you could see it in their eyes. The Bengals just wanted to get the game over as quickly as possible, and come in out of the cold.

If throwing the game was the master plan, then so be it, but I just don't understand how you can turn it on and turn it off with the flip of a switch. I guess we will find out this coming Saturday.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:02 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1681

Players were just going through the motions in a meaningless game. Let the Jets and their fans think they are good because I think the Bengals will wipe them out next week.

“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

Last edited by psychdoctor; 01-04-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin28_1962 View Post
plus would you rather let the Jets in the playoffs or help the Steelers get in? tough call.
I think I would rather see the jets. Having two weeks to prepare for them and they being fresh in mind of what they do scheme wise. I think will be effective. If we stop their running game. I dont see their rookie QB coming to PBS and winning the game for them.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:10 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10579

The more I think about last night's game the less I am worried.

OF COURSE WE THREW THIS GAME.

The Bengals did not want to play the a Texans team that beat them with everyone healthy now that we are banged up. If it had not been for the national media we would of had our back ups in but since it was in prime time with playoff implecations we had to appear to care so we played our starters in a very vanilla gameplan. Seeing our starters out there mixed with the win and your in factor the Jets had they played hard. Now the Jets think we are push overs and may have a down game next week (like we did in Oakland) and our well rested team should grind them out.

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 01-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 3628

I know i'll get flamed to hell and back for this, so be it. ANYONE on this team who didn't care should be terminated. You should care about EVERY SINGLE GAME. That is the Paul Brown way and this is still HIS team. Throwing games and coming out unmotivated is pure BS and a slap in the face to our late GREAT founder.

Even if you rested your starters(we didn't) you still play to WIN. We played like we have NO CLUE how to handle a winning season and the playoffs.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:17 PM
JonDGAF

bengals Re: Did the Bengals really care last night?

IT'S OBVIOUS, LAST NIGHT WAS A TOTAL SETUP AND THE JETS FELL FOR IT.

Lets see what game tape do the jets have to review to prepare for the Game on Saturday. They are going to watch a tape of Carson Plamer messing up, no competions made and a horrible defense and running game.
The Bengals can review the tapes of the jets playing them and figure out exactly how to beat them. By the bengals loosing last night the Jets have a disadvantage because they do not know how the Bengals will play them on Saturday.
Marvin was smart in not winning, look at the stats.Jets got lucky in beating the Colts, Jets thought they actually won this week but the game was handed to them. The Texans on the other hand have been on a decent winnign streak and beat the Bengals already.
So what if the Jets have to play the Colts, it is inevitable anyways. Guess Marvin hinks it is better to play Indy then the chargers. I assume they would rather play a team that they haven't played yet this year because they wont know what to expect. Maeks sense Right?
Old 01-04-2010, 02:18 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin28_1962 View Post
The Steelers were eliminated by the time the game started because of victories to Houston and Baltimore

Overall I like the matchup at hand. Hopefully we can jump to a 10 or 14 point lead and put the game into Sanchez's hands.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:18 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 148

Apparently they didn't care last night, even though leading up to kick-off that's all they talked about, getting respect and proving they weren't a fluke. If they come out and win Saturday than no harm no foul, if they get beat like that again, then some heads need to roll.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:20 PM
VIP Silver Member

Part that scares me about that though was Marvin said "We aren't mature enough to turn it off this week and be ready for next week." A statement that I really agreed with. So after that statement he just throws the game? There was a lot of truth in that statement, hopefully a lot of truth that won't come bite us in the rear end!
Old 01-04-2010, 02:23 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 136

Some posters on this board may post 1,000,000 times I don't care.. But they show their ignorance when they say this team stinks and they were REALLY trying yesterday... COME ON, Seriously??? Which game do you really want to win??? Yesterday or this Saturday?
Think about these factors..

1) 3rd seed and 4th mean very little.. Especially if the Injured Patriots get beat by the Ravens, Which I believe is very possible.. That would make us as good as a 3rd seed ( if we win)..
2) These guys haven't seen the playoffs often, and in no way would they go all out when they know it could mean an injury and they might miss the playoffs, (e.i look at what happened to Pat Sims) How do you think he feels about last nights game? Was it worth the injury??? Look at Wes Welker in NE was the injury worth what he is now missing???
3) Even if we did play hard, we are not the type of team to blow anyone out.. (e.i Look at how we played most every team this season) so if we are not going all out, and we don't have all our starters, don't you think we would get blown out????
4) Carson, looked like he was more concerned about not getting sacked, (get rid of it quick) than he was concerned about making a completed pass..
5) Why show them anything, other than a few plays we need to work on, it doesn't make since, if the game is meaningless? ( it wouldn't surprise me, if Marvin said. "Don't make first downs".. Show them nothing!..
6) Marvin and The players are going to say all the right things, and if anyone really got caught up in Chris' comments last night, they were fooled...
It wouldn't surprise me, if Chris deep down, knew what they were up to, and was hoping the Jets will think this was the Team they will see next week.. But even if not, Chris is worried about his JOB on NBC, he is going to say the right things to keep his job..

Finally.. Yes, it was a nice time for the NFL to see that the Bengals are for real.... But the NFL had it's chance, earlier in the year, to see us in primetime, and they turned it down.. Why in the world we go all out and risk success in the playoffs just to "prove we are for real"? If we win next week, don't you think the NFL will know we are for real????

I know it's frustrating.. and who knows maybe we will still lose.. Maybe the injury bug has finally took it's toll on us.. But I am NOT convinced last night was anything but a team with nothing to prove, wanting to stay as healthy as possible before we go into the playoffs.. Our Strength is our defense and running.. we rested some key parts.. did you really think we would show our hand?

Last edited by EatonEagles87; 01-04-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by StamatCR View Post
The Steelers were eliminated by the time the game started because of victories by Houston and Baltimore

Overall I like the matchup at hand. Hopefully we can jump to a 10 or 14 point lead and put the game into Sanchez's hands.
yes exactly. by the time the game started there were only two scenarios that could've played out. we either host NYJ or HOU in the playoffs depending upon whether or not we won.

personally i think the bengals did care to win last night. the 3 seed would mean the difference of going to san diego or going to indianapolis and we obviously have a better chance against the chargers than the colts. but i don't think any of that will matter come saturday night. i am pretty sure the jets will win and the bengals will be one and done. having some starters back will just make the game closer but they'll have their way with us again.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Rep Points: 109508

It appears to me that some combination of Peko, Crocker, Geathers & Foschi could have played last night if they were making a sincere effort to win. Even moreso, deactivating Benson sent that very message. Then Chad slips on the frozen turf at Giants Stadium and injures his knee. It's a night game, outdoors in freezing temps with rock hard footballs. The playcalling has been described as "vanilla" (or, as I stated before the game, if you thought Bratkowski's playcalling was conservative before, wait until you see the Jets game).

I'm not going to go so far as saying they explicitly stated amongst themselves that they were going to throw the game, but the message seemed to be sent and the players - even if there initially was interest in putting forth a sincere effort - folded up emotionally.

Now, I'm not saying that's entirely excusable. It invites questions about their mental toughness and rightfulloy so. However, mental toughness has been an attribute they've proven to have more often than not (following the devesatating loss to the Broncos, falling behind early to the Steelers (twice), perservering at Baltimore following Vikki Zimmer's death and taking (arguably) the best team in football down to the wire in their house following Chris Henry's death, for example). They need to prove it once again. Thankfully, they get to try to do so with many of their deactivated starters returning to key roles and in front of a home crowd that will (hopefully) bring the same level of excitement they did in the last playoff game in PBS.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10046

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackExchange View Post
I don't think the Bengals played hard last night, and by the end of the 1st quarter, any desire they may have had to win was gone, that said...

By the time the playoffs happen, there's very little a team can hide from another team. What the Bengals and Jets are going to do next week is pretty much well documented. To say that the Bengals just tried to hide their secret plan for next week and not give away any info is just silly. They've given up the info on who they are all year long, there aren't going to be any big surprises by any team next weak. The team that wins will be the team that physically dominates on both sides of the ball, not the one that's managed to hide what it 'really' does on offense and defense all year long.

The Bengals didn't play to win last night. I don't think they ever imagined they'd get embarassed like that, but this idea that it's some sort of 'hustle' into luring the Jets (or any other team) into some sort of trap where they won't be able to figure out formations or 'packages' is just the stuff for fans and tv commentators to argue about. The Bengals, without some of their starters got manhandled last night. Next week will probably be different... I predict a pretty good game against some fairly evenly matched teams.
It makes us feel better.

And while 16 weeks of film gives the other team a good idea of what a team will do, each team does gameplan for the other team. For instance if the Bengals saw some weaknesses they could exploit, they would keep them in their pocket until next week.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:01 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 138

I think the Bengals wanted to win, but weren't willing to do much to make it happen. The Jets really wanted to win and played with playoff intensity. Playoff intensity vs. "I'd kinda like to win if it doesn't hurt too much and I can stay warm" equals 37-0. They were not ready for what happened and didn't expect it. That is the immaturity Marvin was referencing when he talked about them being too immature to turn it off and on so he would try to win.

I think the shell shocked look on their faces after the game is good. They know they need to play with a very high level of intensity to compete with the Jets (or anybody in the playoffs) and they just got a real good look at what that level is. With the game being at home, I think they come out much more physical and the Jets will be the ones looking surprised. In addition, this team is the mentally toughest Bengal team in decades (a very low hurdle, IMO) and is much more likely to bounce back than to wilt.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:03 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 295

I really don't think they did, if you could tell it was cold as balls out there and I think overall they were just trying not to get injured which obviously they failed... They'll rock the house on Saturday WHO DEY

Interested in playing rugby? Click on the logo

Old 01-04-2010, 03:40 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33285

Quote:
they only ran pre-season set plays where they show nothing at all except basic HS routes and coverage.