Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

View Poll Results: Bengals Biggest 1st Round Draft Bust of last 20 years
David Pollack, DE/ LB-2005 3 1.70%
Chris Perry, RB-2004 14 7.95%
Peter Warrick, WR-2000 1 0.57%
Akili Smith, QB-1999 112 63.64%
Ki Jana Carter, RB-1995 22 12.50%
Dan Wilkinson, 1994 4 2.27%
David Klingler, 1992 20 11.36%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2010, 06:47 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1367
Default Re: Bengals Biggest 1st Round Draft Bust of last 20 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by arobinson11 View Post
how pollack and perry are on that list in beyond me, that being said the only 3 real options are Klingler and Smith. I would put Carter up there, but I think the injury he had is a pretty good excuse for never returning to form.
I actually think Klingler never had a fair chance. A young QB and a terrible offensive line that had him being knocked down about 80% of the time he dropped back to throw. No wonder the guy never developed or became gun shy. A run and shoot kid that needed tutoring and instead got thrown to the wolves literally. I still think in the right situation, he would have had success.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:34 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 17152

It's definitely Akili for me. Klingler is a second, but honestly I think even Aili had a better supporting cast. Klingler spent 99% of his short career running for his life or picking his crushed body off the ground because we literally had no blocking back then whatsoever---and he was not fast and athletic like Akili Smith was. I'm not saying he would've been good with a better supporting cast, but a lot better than Akili, imo.

I agree some of those names dont belong on the list, but not too bad overall. At least someone didnt put Andre Smith on it
Old 02-27-2010, 07:44 AM
Banned

Rep Points: -68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLeeWorld View Post
I just watched the top 10 Draft Busts show on NFL Network and got to thinking "Who would I consider the Bengals' biggest 1st Round bust in the Mike Brown era."

Although David Klingler, Akili Smith, and Ki-Jana Carter are immediate thoughts as choices, I choose Chris Perry as my top choice as draft bust. Klingler, ASmith, and Carter never materialized but Carter had the injured before he ever played in a regular season game and Klingler and Smith played on teams that were completely terrible. All are still busts since they were drafted so high. But Perry came in in 2004 in the Marvin Era with Carson, Ocho, T.J. , etc. The team was on the verge of being a playoff team and Perry just never caught on. Injuries derailed him and when he finally got in there, HE WAS TERRIBLE on a decent team. He fumbled more than Daniel Coats!

So, who is your Top First Round Draft bust of the Mike Brown era?
David Pollack, 2005
Chris Perry, 2004
Peter Warrick, 2000
Akili Smith, 1999
Ki Jana Carter, 1995
Dan Wilkinson, 1994
David Klingler, 1992
You think Chris Perry was our worst Draft pick of the past 20 yrs??? That's just plain STUPID. Perry was a good RB who other than his last year here produced when he actually did get out on the field, plus he was a 2nd Round pick and you wanna label a 2nd Round pick as the worst bust??? LOL Akili Smith is without a doubt the absolute worst Draft bust, not just in the past 20 yrs but of all time in Bengals history. This loser was the 3rd overall pick and plus we even turned down 9 freakin' Draft picks to take this loser and you've never seen that kind of total incompetence by any other team in regards to a Draft pick.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelski r scum View Post
i renember klinglers 1st game against that lot from crapsburgh he got sacked 7 times i think, kevin green got 4 of them, , had a crap o line as well.
jeff blake was better.
He was actually sacked 10 times in his first game as a starter.

Last edited by BigJim68; 02-27-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:29 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23546

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim68 View Post
You think Chris Perry was our worst Draft pick of the past 20 yrs??? That's just plain STUPID. Perry was a good RB who other than his last year here produced when he actually did get out on the field, plus he was a 2nd Round pick and you wanna label a 2nd Round pick as the worst bust??? LOL Akili Smith is without a doubt the absolute worst Draft bust, not just in the past 20 yrs but of all time in Bengals history. This loser was the 3rd overall pick and plus we even turned down 9 freakin' Draft picks to take this loser and you've never seen that kind of total incompetence by any other team in regards to a Draft pick.
Actually....Chris Perry was a first round pick in 2004....Remember.....everyone cries (justifyably) that we traded down 3 spots to the Broncos for Deltha O'Neal, and then missed our shot at Stephen Jackson. I HATE hindsight.

I agree with everything else though. Chris Perry had one bad year in 08'.....I remember in 05' he played like a big-time playmaker, and I thought that he had a really bright future. I wouldn't call him a bust at all. The other recent ones (Warrick, Pollack) had their carrers cut short from injury too.

Akili Smith is by far our biggest bust ever!
Old 02-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim68 View Post
are you trying to get neg rep? Lol haha

aside from 05 Perry did nothing. And he didn't do to much in 05. He was just a back up. After 05 if he was fumbling he was injuryed. I remember after parting ways with rudi and perry being named starter I said "O Lord! This is gonna be a long season".

Oh ya.... And thanks for enlightening us all on perrys 2nd rd draft status lol haha
Old 02-27-2010, 11:28 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6650

The first trade (going from 17 down to 24) to get Deltha O'Niell was a brilliant move. He was a large reason why we made the playoffs and won the division the following year.

It was the second trade - moving back 3 spots that killed us. We should have moved back up 4 spots and got Vince Wilfork.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:38 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3143

For me it is between Smith and Klingler. Klingler may have had succses with an o-line who could pass block though so I whent with Smith.

Xbox live Gamertag- WhoDeyMaster.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:16 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 626
bengals Re: Bengals Biggest 1st Round Draft Bust of last 20 years

You call me "plain stupid" for thinking a first round draft choice that had 600 career rushing yards , couldn't hold onto the ball at all, had no idea how to hit the hole and run, and played on a playoff team with a nice supporting cast is a bust? OK. Yeah, I'm the stupid one.

Yeah, in rethinking I might put Akili Smith as the all time bust (I did post that at 4am) . But I'm not gonna sit here and act like Chris Perry was on the verge of becoming the next great RB. He was terrible and a complete waste of a draft pick.

Every person on that list was a first round pick and none of them came close to ever living up to what we, the team, or anyone thought they would be. They all deserve to be on there.

I remember David Verser too. WR out of Kansas. If I remember correctly, he was taken in 1 and Collinsworth was taken in 2.

Dalton to Green era begins now
Old 02-27-2010, 01:43 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 679

It's a crap-shoot between Klingler and Akili. I ultimately voted Klingler for a couple reasons:

1 - Klingler was supposed to be the next big thing in the NFL. His stats were insane in Houston back in the day. I remember watching some of those games he played back then, and gotta confess, I was a little stoked when we got him thinking we have a top tier QB to follow Boomer one day and keep the winning seasons going. But everything fell apart immediately when Boomer was getting the shaft, and Klingler was getting the nod at Qb. Too much, too soon, and never worked within the system we had in place. Klingler needed a season or two behind Boomer to learn and adjust, not to mention the run & shoot offense only works in two scenarios - if you have fantastic receivers, or if you're in college working against weak DB's in your conference. Not to mention working out of the shotgun, which really limits your gameplan in the NFL (Sorry Tebow, put that degree to use instead). Klingler never gained confidence, the game was too fast for him, and he couldn't learn fast enough nor adjust.

2 - Akili should have never been drafted in the first round, especially with only 1 season of actual solid credentials under his belt. For this reason, he was never built up to be a potential NFL star like Klingler was being hyped. He was billed as having "Potential", "Athlete" but I never heard anyone label him as smart on the field or talented. Like most all of us Bengal fans, I was seriously irked at the selection because this kid had shown only 1 good season. It was a HUGE risk taking this guy, this early based on his athletisism and 1 good season with good receivers in a conference of average DB's.

So I voted Klingler based upon expectations from him as compared to Akili. I may be mistaken, but I think Akili's pro career lasted longer than Klinglers as well, though not any better for it.

As for the rest of the list, I can't really say any of those can be catagorized as busts per se. I consider a bust as someone who comes in with the billing of a future standout player drafted high with all the hype for his position, and become irrelevent after a couple seasons, becomes more of a problem than help at that position, cut from the team, never heard from again.......like Klingler for instance.....
Old 02-27-2010, 06:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5583

I regret I have but one vote to give to this poll.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:46 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Oh, good. Let's drudge up the past yet again. The annual who was the worst draft choice question. The old let's revisit one more time in the past suckitude poll. Do you work for ESPN?

Chris Perry was very good in '05. Look it up. Don't know why you wouldn't remember that. That gives him one good year. I don't think Akili had one good moment. This is a no-brainer.

David Pollack has no business being on that list. A bust is someone who stinks. You can't say that about him.
although he was one of the worst picks in bengal history he did have one good moment how can we forget the game winner against the Cleveland Browns
Old 02-27-2010, 10:20 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 170

Akili is the only suitable answer here. Klingler actually had some skills, and a cannon for an arm. He just never got to use it as he was hit by defenders as soon as he got the ball. I do seem to remember a game where he was put in late in the 4th quarter(less than 2 minutes) and brought us back with 2 scores for a win. Maybe Cleveland? With a decent line he could have been someone. I always admired how he always got up after being pounded into the turf. It's no wonder he became gun shy!
Old 02-27-2010, 10:33 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18185

Quote:
You call me "plain stupid" for thinking a first round draft choice that had 600 career rushing yards , couldn't hold onto the ball at all, had no idea how to hit the hole and run, and played on a playoff team with a nice supporting cast is a bust? OK. Yeah, I'm the stupid one.

Yeah, in rethinking I might put Akili Smith as the all time bust (I did post that at 4am) . But I'm not gonna sit here and act like Chris Perry was on the verge of becoming the next great RB. He was terrible and a complete waste of a draft pick.

Every person on that list was a first round pick and none of them came close to ever living up to what we, the team, or anyone thought they would be. They all deserve to be on there.

I remember David Verser too. WR out of Kansas. If I remember correctly, he was taken in 1 and Collinsworth was taken in 2.
Sorry man, but Wilkinson put up very good numbers when he was here:

45+ tackles and over 6 sacks he averaged while he was here.

For a big run stopping tackle, those are excellent numbers (especially the sacks).

Not his fault we picked him at 1; going to OSU helped as well.

The guy isn't a hall of famer, but he'd outperform a ton of current DTs in his prime.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 02-28-2010, 07:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by lift View Post
Akili Smith, by far. I remember watching the draft and praying that they would not draft him. I remember thinking 1 good year at Oregon and everyone says he is a No. 1 pick. I didn't believe it. I cringed when they called his name.

How about this one (and I may be showing my age), David Verser, drafted No. 1 out of Kansas in 1981. Stud wide receiver in college, was a flop in the NFL.
He does make a pretty good Cincinnati Police Officer though...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

#15--gone, but never forgotten...
Old 02-28-2010, 09:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 24543

Dan Wilkinson is still being used today as an example of why a team with the first overall pick should NOT take a defensive tackle. He may not be worse than the 2 qbs, but the expectations were a lot higher with him.

Our recent second rounders should all collectively take up a spot on this list. How much better would this team be if we would have taken viable pro-caliber players with the picks we flushed down the crapper on Thurman, Irons and Simpson. We've gotten a season and a catch out of the three turds put together. I'm not even saying we could've gotten Pro-Bowlers in their places, just one or two guys out of the three that contributed something other than drunken idiocy, fragility, or just plain football stupidity to this team over the long haul.

Simply put, we are still paying for these botched second rounders in 2010.

Last edited by Samhain; 03-01-2010 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:41 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1127

Big Fatty had bigger expectations than Suh and Warren Sapp combined...

Hands down, without a doubt, has my vote... Don't care what he did with the Skins or Lions, he was supposed to be a once in a decade pick at his position and a sure shot Hall of Famer... HE ******!

I ♥ me some Jordan Shipley
Old 03-01-2010, 01:12 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 200

Jesus we're arguing about the ugliest turd. They all stunk! Some due to injuries (KJ, Pollack), some due to being over-hyped (Wilkinson, Warrick, and Klingler), and some were just awful (Perry and Smith).

Smith is the clear pick here. It can't be anyone else. He was the third pick in the draft and was terrible. Not serviceable, but competely and utterly pathetic.

Wish they knew how to fix ACL's in 1995 like they do now. Man the KJ pick was the most crushing for me. Loved the pick, devastated by the injury. I still remember the day we drafted him and listening to WLW and the new Bengals Era is upon us.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:58 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1581

All I have to say is I will never call Pollack a bust. Than man broke his neck for this team and even tried to come back and play after he did it. Bust no unlucky yes still got his jersey he will always be a great Bengal to me no matter how short. His name shouldn't even be in the poll.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulllife View Post
are you trying to get neg rep? Lol haha

aside from 05 Perry did nothing. And he didn't do to much in 05. He was just a back up. After 05 if he was fumbling he was injuryed. I remember after parting ways with rudi and perry being named starter I said "O Lord! This is gonna be a long season".

Oh ya.... And thanks for enlightening us all on perrys 2nd rd draft status lol haha
Like i said before, except for his final year Perry produced when he did play but that was few and far between, but at least Perry did have 1 good year, Klingler & Smith never had any good years. And yeah i don't know what i was thinking when i said that he was a 2nd pick, i guess i was thinking about Irons or something, i do know that he went pretty low in the 1st round (24th) and you don't call a low 1st round Draft pick the biggest bust when we gave up the chance to get 9 Draft picks to stay at # 3 and Draft a loser like Smith.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
You didn't say that he was just a bust, you said that he was the biggest bust in Bengals history which IS just plain stupid. Yeah he was a bust but not the biggest bust in Bengals history.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 193

Guys bigjim has __________ fill in with whatever. hence his posts.