Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > General Sports Discussion > College Football

College Football Now all you Buckeyes homers have your own place to talk about your favorite team.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:24 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 83419
Default 9/11 remarks from Alabama's Nick Saban

What's everyone's opinion of Nick Saban's remarks?

I have to admit. I initially heard about it from a friend of mine who started by saying "Nick Saban compared his loss against Louisiana Monroe to 9/11" I was enraged when I heard this but then the same friend clarified it by saying..."at least that's what I heard on ESPN."

I have to tell you though, I've since heard the press conference...the guy didn't say anything wrong. At least not to the magnitude that the broadcasting-version-of-ambulance-chasers known as ESPN made it out to be.

Here's a portion of that press conference:

"Changes in history usually occur after some kind of catastrophic event," Saban said during the opening remarks of his weekly news conference. "It may be 9-11, which sort of changed the spirit of America relative to catastrophic events. Pearl Harbor kind of got us ready for World War II, or whatever, and that was a catastrophic event."

IMHO, it appears Saban simply used a sensitive subject to draw parallels. I'm not a fan of Nick Saban, I wouldn't necessarilly say I dislike the man either, but I felt compelled to defend him on the message board because ESPN felt it was necessary to lead off with this story, saying, and I quote, "Nick Saban goess off."

I think we're all smart enough to know no one thinks Alabama losing an embarassing game is on the same level as 9/11. I believe he was simply trying to get across the point that when really bad things happen, people tend to rebound from them and become stronger. After all, it was after he was asked how he plans to deal with the upcoming game that led to Saban giving this response.

Your thoughts?
Old 11-21-2007, 05:37 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 589
Default Re: 9/11 remarks from Alabama's Nick Saban

Saban proves yet again that he is a world class d$%chebag... I can't stand him or the Dolphins, but man you had to feel bad for Miami given the way he snaked out on them.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 336

It really comes down to how do you feel about it. Did 9-11 bother you? I know some people who said "we got what we deserved" or the "I don't know any of these people or live in those cities." For those people I doubt they are upset or offended.

I know 9-11 hit me pretty hard and while I understand the analogy he used, it just wasn't very smart to say. We're still rebounding from that awful day, but I'm not about to get politicial. Anyway, I'm sure if someone he knew had died on that day I doubt he'd would have ever brought that up.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:31 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 83419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housman25 View Post
It really comes down to how do you feel about it. Did 9-11 bother you? I know some people who said "we got what we deserved" or the "I don't know any of these people or live in those cities." For those people I doubt they are upset or offended.

I know 9-11 hit me pretty hard and while I understand the analogy he used, it just wasn't very smart to say. We're still rebounding from that awful day, but I'm not about to get politicial. Anyway, I'm sure if someone he knew had died on that day I doubt he'd would have ever brought that up.
I did not know a single peson who died in 9/11 but at the same time I can't name a single person who wasn't affected. It was an attack on our country and pesonal freedom. My point was Saban (again, who I neither care for or dislike) wasn't out to compare this loss to 9/11, just to show that in times of adversity people rebound and get stronger.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:51 PM
VIP Gold Member

Location: poe, william blake, dali, TamaradeLempicka, DarioArgento, MarioBava
Rep Points: 8902

It was just a stupid comment. He made others before(anybody his rant on cajun people). I do not think he is a bad guy or coach. Public speaking is not one of his strength.

Least he does not spit like Lou Houltz.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:56 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 26252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housman25 View Post

Great post! Your perspective is a very good one. I do know people who died on 9-11 and I was almost one of them. I had orders to be in the Pentagon on the morning of 9-11 and they were canceled on 9-10!
Old 11-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by HearUsRoar View Post
I did not know a single peson who died in 9/11 but at the same time I can't name a single person who wasn't affected. It was an attack on our country and pesonal freedom. My point was Saban (again, who I neither care for or dislike) wasn't out to compare this loss to 9/11, just to show that in times of adversity people rebound and get stronger.
Well I'm glad you can say that in regards to no one being affected. But I remember on many forums, opinion pieces, and talking head new's shows with some people saying that are country was "arrogrant", "thought we were untouchable" and calling many of those terrorist "freedom fighters." Our own country has a lot of anti-american supporters and there where people defending the actions of the terrorist and questioning our goverment.

But let me stay on point, because I'm leaning into the wrong thread. I understand what Nick Saban was trying to do, I don't fault him in that regard. But we're still talking about football, and I don't see where that comes into play with 9-11 or Pearl Harbor.

Because weather it was said (which it wasn't) all of this was said due to the fact Bama lost to UL-Monroe. Things like this bother me, because a lot of people treat sports like it's life and death--when it's not.

Last edited by Housman25; 11-22-2007 at 11:37 PM.