Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:30 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6243
Default A question for you guys

I was dumb enough tonight to leave the keys of my car in the ignition. 3 hours later I go back in the car to leave and it's completely dead. It won't even turn over and I tried to jump it but I cant find the battery in my own car. I dont know if someone just stole my car battery or if it's in a place below my engine where you can't access it. It was such a great day until this happened. Now my car is in the bike and ski shop parking lot where it will get towed.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:33 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 1762
Default Re: A question for you guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker09 View Post
I was dumb enough tonight to leave the keys of my car in the ignition. 3 hours later I go back in the car to leave and it's completely dead. It won't even turn over and I tried to jump it but I cant find the battery in my own car. I dont know if someone just stole my car battery or if it's in a place below my engine where you can't access it. It was such a great day until this happened. Now my car is in the bike and ski shop parking lot where it will get towed.

What kind of car is it? and why do you think that leaving the keys in the ignition is what killed it? Did you have the ignition in the off position or in the aux position?
Old 06-15-2011, 12:34 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenetwolf View Post
What kind of car is it?
1999 Chevy lumina with a V6 engine.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:38 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16942

Quote:
1999 Chevy lumina with a V6 engine.
Get the Google.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...evrolet_Lumina

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...9_Chevy_Lumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Yes, they will both have a role. MLJ will be the WR2. And Sanu will be the 5th or 6th receiving option.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
The 1996 Chevy Lumina's battery is located underneath the windshield washer-fluid reservoir. This plastic reservoir is mounted in the front corner of the engine compartment on the driver's side. When you remove the reservoir, you'll see the battery. The positive side of the battery is marked with a "+" symbol. Its cable is red
Old 06-15-2011, 12:48 AM
VIP Silver Member

I really wish my car battery was in the normal place where it should be and not below a few car parts that need to be removed in order to access it. I wish i was a mechanic, going to have to take it in tommorow.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:50 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
The 1996 Chevy Lumina's battery is located underneath the windshield washer-fluid reservoir. This plastic reservoir is mounted in the front corner of the engine compartment on the driver's side. When you remove the reservoir, you'll see the battery. The positive side of the battery is marked with a "+" symbol. Its cable is red
Thanks though for the info. I just hope my car is still there tommorow morning and not towed away so I dont have to pay a towing bill.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
I really wish my car battery was in the normal place where it should be and not below a few car parts that need to be removed in order to access it. I wish i was a mechanic, going to have to take it in tommorow.

Removing the reservoir is easy, Save yourself a bunch of money for a towing bill.

& INSTALLATION

See Figures 1, 2 and 3
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Siphon the washer fluid from the reservoir.
  3. Unfasten the reservoir mounting screws.
  4. Detach the washer motor electrical connector and washer hose.
  5. Remove the assembly from the engine compartment.
To install:
  1. The installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
  2. Fill the reservoir with a suitable washer fluid.
  3. Connect the negative battery cable and check the washer for proper operation.

Fig. Fig. 2: After installing the reservoir, remove the cap...

Fig. Fig. 3: ... then fill the reservoir with the proper type and amount of windshield washer fluid

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...00c1528006804a

Last edited by silenetwolf; 06-15-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:56 AM
VIP Silver Member

Thanks i appreciate it. I hope I dont screw this up though.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:59 AM
Banned

steelers Re: A question for you guys

Quote:
Thanks i appreciate it. I hope I dont screw this up though.

Just follow the instructions and you will be fine
Old 06-15-2011, 01:03 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8300

Haha who designed your car? Was it this guy?

Bender cares what you think! Please send all suggestions for next week's sign to Ajustyle's Bender Signature Suggestions!! All proceeds go to charity!! Who Dey!!
Old 06-15-2011, 01:05 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Just follow the instructions and you will be fine
Im just wondering if there is more to just the battery dying with the car. Two weeks ago I am driving down the road and I came to a stop at the stop sign. I went to turn and the accelerator was stiff, the car was actually moving very slowly in reverse as well. I restarted the car right in the middle of the road and since then it has ran decent but not great. I need a oil change soon though. I wonder if that's the problem.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajustyle View Post

I wouldnt doubt it. Whoever designed the car is a moron.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:26 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21239

Never heard of such a thing. When you first said you couldn't find your battery, I thought you had moron potential. Sorry for my lack of faith in you. The battery is really underneath the reservoir? Wow, now that is stupid! Good luck with this!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:04 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDog View Post
Never heard of such a thing. When you first said you couldn't find your battery, I thought you had moron potential. Sorry for my lack of faith in you. The battery is really underneath the reservoir? Wow, now that is stupid! Good luck with this!
I know! How stupid is that for a car battery?? It's the battery, Chevy, you morons! Make it accessible w/o needing a screwdriver!! What are you supposed to do in a pinch? I guess you gotta carry a toolbox in the trunk like I do....

...speaking of which on my car I have two recurring issues that drive me NUTS. Both are design issues that you don't look for when deciding to buy a car. The first issue is my headlight which is made in a way that I have to take apart the grill and front bumper to get access to the headlight assembly. So changing the headlight bulb is a two hour project. I've had to undertake this task like 8-10 times in the past 2 years. Don't ask, loooong story. The second issue is my car battery. The battery has a male negative and a male positive, right? Well the females for each DON'T FIT!!! They're too loose so sometimes when I try to start my car I have to open the hood and adjust the male/female connections. Not always, but every couple months one of 'em comes loose. I've bought new connection BTW because they're only $10, but that didn't fix the problem. The most annoying thing is that when one of 'em comes loose my radio and clock need to be reset. ANNOYING. Not debilitating at all, just annoying. I can fix the issue when it happen in two seconds, but it's just plain and simple ANNOYING. Not to mention it's happened when I've had girls in the car which is NOT SMOOTH.

Bender cares what you think! Please send all suggestions for next week's sign to Ajustyle's Bender Signature Suggestions!! All proceeds go to charity!! Who Dey!!
Old 06-15-2011, 06:57 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 51570

Quote:
I know! How stupid is that for a car battery?? It's the battery, Chevy, you morons! Make it accessible w/o needing a screwdriver!! What are you supposed to do in a pinch? I guess you gotta carry a toolbox in the trunk like I do....

...speaking of which on my car I have two recurring issues that drive me NUTS. Both are design issues that you don't look for when deciding to buy a car. The first issue is my headlight which is made in a way that I have to take apart the grill and front bumper to get access to the headlight assembly. So changing the headlight bulb is a two hour project. I've had to undertake this task like 8-10 times in the past 2 years. Don't ask, loooong story. The second issue is my car battery. The battery has a male negative and a male positive, right? Well the females for each DON'T FIT!!! They're too loose so sometimes when I try to start my car I have to open the hood and adjust the male/female connections. Not always, but every couple months one of 'em comes loose. I've bought new connection BTW because they're only $10, but that didn't fix the problem. The most annoying thing is that when one of 'em comes loose my radio and clock need to be reset. ANNOYING. Not debilitating at all, just annoying. I can fix the issue when it happen in two seconds, but it's just plain and simple ANNOYING. Not to mention it's happened when I've had girls in the car which is NOT SMOOTH.
Wrap the battery posts in steel wool. This will keep the connections tight.

Also when you change the bulbs don't touch them directly with your fingers. Always hold them with a cloth or napkin.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:58 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltus Dinglehammer View Post

Also when you change the bulbs don't touch them directly with your fingers. Always hold them with a cloth or napkin.
Yup, if you touch the Halogen bulbs, they will blow pretty quickly. I just grab the plastic and insert it real quick.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:18 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12955

They place the battery there to prevent theft. If you are just trying to jump start the car or charge the battery you should not have to go through the trouble of removing the resorvoir etc.

If the batter is located in places like this the manufacturers run leads from the batter to somewhere in the engine compartment to hook jumper cables to (usually somewhere directly above the battery.

Count yourself lucky, I have a dodge that i have to remove the drivers side from tire to get to the battery because it is located in the wheel well.

Here is where the "remote" positive terminal is in a 99' Lumina - This "remote positive stud" is provided for jump starting in the Lumina. The stud is under a red plastic flap and is located on the right side of the accessory wiring junction block. Being that your car is 12 yrs old the red cap that it states may not be there anymore but it should just look sorta like a bolt sticking up and probably has a + stamped into the metal.

Once the positive (red) cable is connected you can put the Negative(black) cable anywhere that is not painted and grounds into the body.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me." Jack Lambert

Last edited by duke0476; 06-15-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:15 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36445

If anyone ever has a problem with their battery, and you don't know what to do, just call AAA and they will rescue you.
Even if you don't have a AAA membership just call them up and buy one on the spot for $60. Then they will rescue you. They will jump your dead battery and tell you what is wrong with it and how bad it is.

If by chance it is a bad battery, AAA can sell you a good battery with a 6 yr. warranty and install it. You pay about $110 for that, but the service is outstanding. And you get the peace of mind that it will last for 6 years or AAA will rescue you for free. Trust me I have used this service and it is a good service, very well priced.

Where you find this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SociopathicSteelerFan View Post
You... being a... racist
Quote:
you've made a lot of racist statements in this thread...
Quote:
I'll take my being a pompous *** over your being a vile racist.
Followed immediately by this:
Quote:
I don't, personally, think you're a racist.

Last edited by tbone77; 06-15-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:27 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13392

Quote:

You think having it underneath the fluid reservoir is weird, try being beneath the seats in the cab. I just bought a new traverse and the owners manual said the battery is located underneath the seats inside the car. Ive never heard of that
Old 06-15-2011, 12:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8718

Quote:
Removing the reservoir is easy, Save yourself a bunch of money for a towing bill.

& INSTALLATION

See Figures 1, 2 and 3
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Siphon the washer fluid from the reservoir.
  3. Unfasten the reservoir mounting screws.
  4. Detach the washer motor electrical connector and washer hose.
  5. Remove the assembly from the engine compartment.
To install:
  1. The installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
  2. Fill the reservoir with a suitable washer fluid.
  3. Connect the negative battery cable and check the washer for proper operation.

Fig. Fig. 2: After installing the reservoir, remove the cap...

Fig. Fig. 3: ... then fill the reservoir with the proper type and amount of windshield washer fluid

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...00c1528006804a
And people wonder why GM had to be bailed out, lol.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:21 PM
VIP Silver Member

I have towing coverage on my car so I don't have to pay a towing bill. I towed it over to the car dealership to have it looked at anyway due to the fact there are some minor problems going on. The Air conditioning makes a loud squealing sound when you turn it on. The timing belt in the car as well is really worn and there is a little tear in it so I think it would be for the best if they fixed that up. I really don't want to keep putting it off then Im driving down the road and the car breaks down and it will be much more expensive if something more major goes wrong. If the temp is 70 or above without air it can get really hot in the car. The interior of the car is like 20 degrees warmer I think when the temp gets hot outside.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have towing coverage on my car so I don't have to pay a towing bill. I towed it over to the car dealership to have it looked at anyway due to the fact there are some minor problems going on. The Air conditioning makes a loud squealing sound when you turn it on. The timing belt in the car as well is really worn and there is a little tear in it so I think it would be for the best if they fixed that up. I really don't want to keep putting it off then Im driving down the road and the car breaks down and it will be much more expensive if something more major goes wrong. If the temp is 70 or above without air it can get really hot in the car. The interior of the car is like 20 degrees warmer I think when the temp gets hot outside.

Man, you should just say a prayer, put a bullet through the engine and walk away.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltus Dinglehammer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler Eater View Post
Yup, if you touch the Halogen bulbs, they will blow pretty quickly. I just grab the plastic and insert it real quick.
I appreciate the tips but trust me when I said 'loong story don't ask' I meant it. It's not as simple as me accidentally touching the bulb. After I take apart the grill/bumper and unscrew the headlight assembly I still only have like 3-4 inches worth of room to work in. On top of that the bulb isn't a twist on type of mechanism. It's a overly complicated contraption that relies on a really thin piece of metal that has to clip onto the bulb, and, well, I just don't think I can describe it without showing it to you. It's just a plain ole design issue that is annoying as hell. You need like 3 hands to hold it together right then another hand to screw it into place. It takes longer to situate the bulb then it does to take apart the grill.bumper and undercarriage manifold. Let's just say my next car won't be a Nissan.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:47 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Man, you should just say a prayer, put a bullet through the engine and walk away.
Why do you say that? The car has been treating me well until this. I have had it for 2 years and it has 123,000 miles on it.