Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:30 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2094
Default FEELING A DRAFT... HUH Oo

As usual when free agency starts March 13, they won’t be looking for big names and are most likely to focus on signing own players. The Bengals hope to have guys like kicker Mike Nugent and safety Reggie Nelson locked up before offseason workouts start April 16 at Paul Brown Stadium.

I read this on the front page artical SMH!! This is ridiculous... I hope to GOD that this isnt true and the front office realize they need to strike the iron while its HOT! You went to the playoffs... Your NOT rebuilding.. You just need a few pieces to get you further into the playoffs... For GOD sakes PLEASE atleast grab ONE big name... Just ONE!! Grab Michael Bush, Grab Grubs or Nicks... GRAB SOMEONE GOT ******** lol!

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...5-6386b7e70bb9
Old 01-13-2012, 10:35 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3729
Default Re: FEELING A DRAFT... HUH Oo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCMehayward View Post
As usual when free agency starts March 13, they won’t be looking for big names and are most likely to focus on signing own players. The Bengals hope to have guys like kicker Mike Nugent and safety Reggie Nelson locked up before offseason workouts start April 16 at Paul Brown Stadium.

I read this on the front page artical SMH!! This is ridiculous... I hope to GOD that this isnt true and the front office realize they need to strike the iron while its HOT! You went to the playoffs... Your NOT rebuilding.. You just need a few pieces to get you further into the playoffs... For GOD sakes PLEASE atleast grab ONE big name... Just ONE!! Grab Michael Bush, Grab Grubs or Nicks... GRAB SOMEONE GOT ******** lol!

To be fair this team doesn't need many big names. Get a couple of starters in the draft, then some depth, and then potentially one or two upgrades through FA. I wouldn't worry. I can still see a fairly big name CB, WR or OG being brought in.

Philly proved this year that splashing the cash can be counter productive.

Forever indebted to NashvilleBengalfan for his stroke of artistic genius.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:41 AM
VIP Silver Member

I dont want them to try and grab every big name thats out there... Im just saying grab atleast one person of importance to make a BIG impact on this team... Not just fill a hole!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:43 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10620

Quote:

Thank you sir for ruining my morning. YES we do need a couple big names. We don't need MINOR upgrades. We need play makers and impact players.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:44 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
I dont want them to try and grab every big name thats out there... Im just saying grab atleast one person of importance to make a BIG impact on this team... Not just fill a hole!
That is saying it best. What we have right now are a bunch of hole fillers who do not need to be replaced with more hole fillers. We need people with higher skill sets and more talent.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:44 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3510

They really need to sign Reggie Nelson. The guy is just awesome and they traded a backup, buried on the depth chart CB for him (David Jones).
Old 01-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 510

Must sign Reggie Nelson, Mike Nugent, and extend Geno Atkins for a long time. I would like to see Clements stick around.

Some guys can be cut like Simpson and Livings. Benson needs to go along with Crocker.

They need to draft or sign a WR to compliment AJ Green, a couple good, young, guards, and they need a corner and another safety.

RB would also be nice.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:34 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18390

I don't care how big their names are, I just hope we get an OG, SS, whatever that's still in his prime and has been a big producer !

We've shown tendencies in the past to bargain basement shop, this trend needs to end.

Having said that teams are built thru the draft !
Old 01-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 1567

This is just Hobson talking...

I was impressed with the free agents we went after last year. We went after Robert Gallery who narrowed his choices to us and Seattle and picked Seattle because of his relationship with their line coach.

We signed deuce lutui who was the cardinals best lineman in 2010. Turned out he ate himself out of a contract during the lockout.

We agreed with donte whitner ...before he turned around and screwed us.

Clements was a quality signing. Thomas Howard was s really good player for Oakland before coming here. Lawson was at least a pretty high former 1st rounder.

We traded for Taylor Mays - a year after trading for Reggie Nelson. They picked up McGlynn who started at center for a playoff team the year before. We signed Jean- Gilles who kind of ****** but started for Philly in 2010 as well.

Seems like they were pretty aggressive last off-season in at least trying to improve. Maybe this year it will be easier to get guys who want to play here.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:44 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan74 View Post
I don't care how big their names are, I just hope we get an OG, SS, whatever that's still in his prime and has been a big producer !

We've shown tendencies in the past to bargain basement shop, this trend needs to end.

Having said that teams are built thru the draft !
Yep, and if Marvin really is serious about winning, he needs to step up and put an end to this.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:51 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOS View Post
Must sign Reggie Nelson, Mike Nugent, and extend Geno Atkins for a long time. I would like to see Clements stick around.

Some guys can be cut like Simpson and Livings. Benson needs to go along with Crocker.

They need to draft or sign a WR to compliment AJ Green, a couple good, young, guards, and they need a corner and another safety.

RB would also be nice.
I agree with ALL of this.... BENSON needs to go... CROCKER lost us the playoff game in my opinion and his cover skills went from servicable to horrible! I would resign Jerome because he is not great, but has good upside and gives us depth and will be cheap. Sign or draft a #2 reciever... Sign or draft 2 guards... Sign or draft a COVER safety... RESIGN Nugent and Nelson... TRY to extend Geno (and i only say TRY because if they do everything i ask previously, then money will be short.. but they NEED to extend his contract)
Old 01-13-2012, 11:53 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18390

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePong View Post
This is just Hobson talking...

I was impressed with the free agents we went after last year. We went after Robert Gallery who narrowed his choices to us and Seattle and picked Seattle because of his relationship with their line coach.

We signed deuce lutui who was the cardinals best lineman in 2010. Turned out he ate himself out of a contract during the lockout.

We agreed with donte whitner ...before he turned around and screwed us.

Clements was a quality signing. Thomas Howard was s really good player for Oakland before coming here. Lawson was at least a pretty high former 1st rounder.

We traded for Taylor Mays - a year after trading for Reggie Nelson. They picked up McGlynn who started at center for a playoff team the year before. We signed Jean- Gilles who kind of ****** but started for Philly in 2010 as well.

Seems like they were pretty aggressive last off-season in at least trying to improve. Maybe this year it will be easier to get guys who want to play here.
Yes ! We broke many tendencies last year ! Let's hope this trend continues, fingers crossed. And the last line of your post is a major, major, factor.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:56 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 84

Well Cincinnati is no longer the place where scrubs come looking for one more BIG PAYDAY because their careers are on the downside or nobody else will touch them with a 10 foot pole! We did pretty good last year in F.A. and I believe we should do just as well or better this year folks. Now M.B. & M.L. and the front office (LMAO) need to take their time and with due diligence pick the best F.A.'s and use our draft picks WISELY! WHO DEY and can't wait for 2012 season folks!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:01 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1056

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOS View Post

RB would also be nice.
I approve...
Old 01-13-2012, 12:08 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23218

I would think there's a reason why Gruden was so quick to sign that 3-year extension. Marvin or Mike must have assured him that steps would be taken to improve the personnel on offense and that Mr. Benson would no longer be a thorn in his side. Look for a guard and a possible #2 WR in FA.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4737

No big-name free agent is going to sign with the Bengals. They are all going to get atttractive offers from teams that have a GM, scouts, and a practice bubble. So why would they want to come here?
Old 01-13-2012, 12:34 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
I would think there's a reason why Gruden was so quick to sign that 3-year extension. Marvin or Mike must have assured him that steps would be taken to improve the personnel on offense and that Mr. Benson would no longer be a thorn in his side. Look for a guard and a possible #2 WR in FA.
I think that is a good observation.

Also we definitely have the cap space to at least pursue a significant upgrade or two in free agency. According to the ESPN NFC South blog the Bengals had the least amount of money committed to the 2012 salary cap per 12/3 last year.

Looking at 2012 salary cap

"One of the teams well below the average is the Atlanta Falcons. They’re sitting at $89.3 million. The Cincinnati Bengals ($71.2 million) have the least committed toward the 2012 cap."

While we do have a host of upcoming free agents, none of them is expected to command a blockbuster deal. The absence of a franchise quarterback contract, in particular, really gives us a lot of freedom this offseason cap-wise.
They'll take the field they will not yield
They're strong and tough and wise
Old 01-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2930

Why do we always need "big names" What have big names done for us?

Antawn Odom
Tank Johnson
Deltha O'Neal (i don't want to hear about his 9 interceptions.
Antonio Bryant
Terrell Owens
Sam Adams
Antonio Chatman
Dexter Jackson
Roy Williams
Laverneous Coles
Larry Johnson

In my mind the only productive name we had was John Thornton.

Forgive me if i missed anyone that deserves to be here.

In my opinion, we should stay away from "big names".

EDIT: I guess you can make a case for Benson and Adam Jones

Last edited by basballguy; 01-13-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:22 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basballguy View Post
Why do we always need "big names" What have big names done for us?

Antawn Odom
Tank Johnson
Deltha O'Neal (i don't want to hear about his 9 interceptions.
Antonio Bryant
Terrell Owens
Sam Adams
Antonio Chatman
Dexter Jackson
Roy Williams
Laverneous Coles
Larry Johnson

In my mind the only productive name we had was John Thornton.

Forgive me if i missed anyone that deserves to be here.

In my opinion, we should stay away from "big names".

EDIT: I guess you can make a case for Benson and Adam Jones
I guess "big names" isn't the correct term. How about "above average players"...We don't go after players like Tony Gonzalez, we go after guys like Donald Lee and Bo Scaife. We wait to make moves and then the cupboard is bare. By the time free agency rolls around, Marvin and the rest of the front office should already have a plan in place, ready to go after the guys that will help us.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:25 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 928

Free agency would be the first opportunity to improve the Cincinnati Bengals.

The second opportunity would the the 2012 National Football League draft. The Cincinnati Bengals should trade their two first round picks in the 2012 National Football League draft and their 2013 first round pick in the National Football League draft to the Indianapolis Colts and draft Andrew Luck for the replacement to the inept and ineffectual Andy Dalton.

Quarterback Andy Dalton can muddle through the 2012 National Football League season, earning the 7-9,8-8,9-7 record. Andrew Luck can have the luxury of studied a poor, inept quarterback and learn fromhis often made mistakes especially in the passing game.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post
Free agency would be the first opportunity to improve the Cincinnati Bengals.

The second opportunity would the the 2012 National Football League draft. The Cincinnati Bengals should trade their two first round picks in the 2012 National Football League draft and their 2013 first round pick in the National Football League draft to the Indianapolis Colts and draft Andrew Luck for the replacement to the inept and ineffectual Andy Dalton.

Quarterback Andy Dalton can muddle through the 2012 National Football League season, earning the 7-9,8-8,9-7 record. Andrew Luck can have the luxury of studied a poor, inept quarterback and learn fromhis often made mistakes especially in the passing game.
I'm glad you posted again. I forgot what your name was and couldn't remember who i wanted to block posts from.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1251

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBengal View Post
To be fair this team doesn't need many big names. Get a couple of starters in the draft, then some depth, and then potentially one or two upgrades through FA. I wouldn't worry. I can still see a fairly big name CB, WR or OG being brought in.

I don't care what Philly did....No one is asking them to be like Philly pr Washington...but re-signing players that are mediocre when you have chances for upgrades elsewhere is not a good route either.

I am not speaking of Nelson either. He is OK to have and I would like Sims back. Besides that......you can find upgrades at every position if you commit to spending more money to do it.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3154

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBengal View Post

The Redskins have proven this every year. The Eagles must have figured that the Redskins were just bad at harnessing that talent. However, both are examples of not loading up 25%+ with expensive free agents. The Bengals are typically on the opposite end of the spectrum, not picking up hardly any free agents. Adding a big name or two does not seem to be damaging to the team. Imagine how much better our secondary would have been with Whitner next to Nelson instead of Crocker.

Pick two FA out of the following positions: guard, WR2, safety, or RB. Then draft the others in the first 2 rounds.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:36 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
The Redskins have proven this every year. The Eagles must have figured that the Redskins were just bad at harnessing that talent. However, both are examples of not loading up 25%+ with expensive free agents. The Bengals are typically on the opposite end of the spectrum, not picking up hardly any free agents. Adding a big name or two does not seem to be damaging to the team. Imagine how much better our secondary would have been with Whitner next to Nelson instead of Crocker.

Pick two FA out of the following positions: guard, WR2, safety, or RB. Then draft the others in the first 2 rounds.
It's pretty much this simple. Why Marvin can't see this is beyond me. It's not going to cost a ton to do this either.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Casanova 72-77 View Post
I don't care what Philly did....No one is asking them to be like Philly pr Washington...but re-signing players that are mediocre when you have chances for upgrades elsewhere is not a good route either.

I am not speaking of Nelson either. He is OK to have and I would like Sims back. Besides that......you can find upgrades at every position if you commit to spending more money to do it.
I guess it goes both ways. You can show a model where it NEVER works (read: Washington) or a model where it works more times than not (read New England). I prefer not signing successful free agents. How often are players successful from team to team. Via FA or trades or whatever. I can name plenty who produced great for one team and bad for another, but have to truely think about players that are highly successful after changing teams.

Marshall Faulk would be my best example for
Jay Cutler would be my most recent against

I just think the FA market is too risky and never really nets us anything of "worth"