Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-24-2012, 09:47 AM
joshb1983's Avatar
joshb1983 joshb1983 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: in ky now from columbus
Posts: 2,445
Rep Points: 921
Default if foster has 1st rd tender why not get him

instead of giving a 1st rd pick to steelers for mike wallace why not give texans one for foster if hes not franchised...texans will tender him and try to match any offer is what i seen on a few sites...id rather have foster than wallace...
__________________

Last edited by joshb1983; 02-24-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Benton's Avatar
Benton Benton is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Benton
Posts: 13,574
Rep Points: 50008
Default Re: if foster has 1st rd tender why not get him

As much as I've been against using the first on Wallace, I'd be for using it on Foster.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed, giggle it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Lolli's Avatar
Lolli Lolli is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CTC
Posts: 9,741
Rep Points: 13690
Default Re: if foster has 1st rd tender why not get him

I do not think we should go after any restricted FAs this year. With the new CBA, drafted players are much cheaper than they used to be. We also have $60 M to spend, so I would not want to give up both a boat load of cash and a draft pick. Just one or the other.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-24-2012, 10:44 AM
busamboy's Avatar
busamboy busamboy is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: liberty township
Posts: 9,096
Rep Points: 41165
Default Re: if foster has 1st rd tender why not get him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
I do not think we should go after any restricted FAs this year. With the new CBA, drafted players are much cheaper than they used to be. We also have $60 M to spend, so I would not want to give up both a boat load of cash and a draft pick. Just one or the other.
I can understand about the giving up a draft pick, but why are worried about how much somebody costs? It is this attitude that allows Mike Brown to play with your mind. There is nobody that costs too much for us right now.
__________________
The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-24-2012, 11:07 AM
WhoDeyLeisure's Avatar
WhoDeyLeisure WhoDeyLeisure is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 1,671
Rep Points: 1569
Default Re: if foster has 1st rd tender why not get him

He's a great RB, when healthy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Bengals in Toronto's Avatar
Bengals in Toronto Bengals in Toronto is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,000
Rep Points: 7648
Default Re: if foster has 1st rd tender why not get him

it fills big hole and if we plan on drafting a HB in the first it could be our move to make
but there are concerns with injuries


if not Trent or Lamar could be smart picks will have to wait until Sunday
__________________



WINNING MAKES BELIEVERS OF US ALL PAUL BROWN
Marvin for GM 2013
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-24-2012, 11:20 AM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bengals Territory
Posts: 35,315
Rep Points: 35053
Default Re: if foster has 1st rd tender why not get him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benton View Post
As much as I've been against using the first on Wallace, I'd be for using it on Foster.
hes an amazing player and worth the risk

but we better have another running back for when he gets injured again
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-24-2012, 11:20 AM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bengals Territory
Posts: 35,315
Rep Points: 35053
Default Re: if foster has 1st rd tender why not get him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals in Toronto View Post
it fills big hole and if we plan on drafting a HB in the first it could be our move to make
but there are concerns with injuries


if not Trent or Lamar could be smart picks will have to wait until Sunday
Chris Polk has been getting dillon comparisons
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-24-2012, 11:27 AM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14,498
Rep Points: 20546
Default Re: if foster has 1st rd tender why not get him

Quote:
Originally Posted by busamboy View Post
I can understand about the giving up a draft pick, but why are worried about how much somebody costs? It is this attitude that allows Mike Brown to play with your mind. There is nobody that costs too much for us right now.
And what a bittersweet feeling that is. Sweet to think about all that COULD be accomplished and bitter to think it will be the status quo approach again.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Andrewwx Andrewwx is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 212
Rep Points: 157
Default Re: if foster has 1st rd tender why not get him

I'd go either way with this...
I'd take him if we can get him and if we don't.. its not a huge loss.

Im more concerned with filling the #2 WR spot - OL - and CB spot first though...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-24-2012, 12:28 PM
THE PISTONS's Avatar
THE PISTONS THE PISTONS is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9,755
Rep Points: 8711
Default Re: if foster has 1st rd tender why not get him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals in Toronto View Post
it fills big hole and if we plan on drafting a HB in the first it could be our move to make
but there are concerns with injuries


if not Trent or Lamar could be smart picks will have to wait until Sunday
How about use the Foster money to add Carl Nicks then draft a Guard with 17. With 21 go RB, CB, WR, DE. With a dominant line you could probably get a productive RB in the 2nd or 3rd Round.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Lolli's Avatar
Lolli Lolli is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CTC
Posts: 9,741
Rep Points: 13690
Default Re: if foster has 1st rd tender why not get him

Quote:
Originally Posted by busamboy View Post
I can understand about the giving up a draft pick, but why are worried about how much somebody costs? It is this attitude that allows Mike Brown to play with your mind. There is nobody that costs too much for us right now.
I must not have been very clear.

I want both the relatively cheap high draft pick and an elite FA pick up.

Let's say the draft pick costs $3 M and a good FA costs $9 M. I want to spend $12 M and get them both as opposed to spending $9 M and losing the pick to just get 1 guy.

The pick is a better value, but I want both. I would hold back $10 M for extensions next year, plus however much the draft costs (guessing $8 M) which still leaves about $40 M. Spend another $12 M to keep the FAs that you like on the team, and that still gives you room to sign 4 difference makers in free agency.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-24-2012, 12:34 PM
THE PISTONS's Avatar
THE PISTONS THE PISTONS is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9,755
Rep Points: 8711
Default Re: if foster has 1st rd tender why not get him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
I must not have been very clear.

I want both the relatively cheap high draft pick and an elite FA pick up.

Let's say the draft pick costs $3 M and a good FA costs $9 M. I want to spend $12 M and get them both as opposed to spending $9 M and losing the pick to just get 1 guy.

The pick is a better value, but I want both. I would hold back $10 M for extensions next year, plus however much the draft costs (guessing $8 M) which still leaves about $40 M. Spend another $12 M to keep the FAs that you like on the team, and that still gives you room to sign 4 difference makers in free agency.
The pick has more value but also more risk as what you get is unknown, but I'm in your camp. Go out and get a Carl Nicks and keep the pick.

You have to be careful with the $60 million in space. If you use it recurring, we will be way over the cap next season. We essentially have to front load contracts.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-24-2012, 12:40 PM
The Caped Crusader's Avatar
The Caped Crusader The Caped Crusader is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Nati
Posts: 3,979
Rep Points: 3367
Default Re: if foster has 1st rd tender why not get him

Go with Lamar Miller. He's quicker, bit beefer and can take more hits. I'll take that over what we know is an injury prone running back coming to a team that doesn't work well with injuries.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-24-2012, 12:45 PM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bengals Territory
Posts: 35,315
Rep Points: 35053
Default Re: if foster has 1st rd tender why not get him

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
The pick has more value but also more risk as what you get is unknown, but I'm in your camp. Go out and get a Carl Nicks and keep the pick.

You have to be careful with the $60 million in space. If you use it recurring, we will be way over the cap next season. We essentially have to front load contracts.
and front loading contract will mean we have a few less to give out. But taking a proven over an unknown is something the bengals like to do.

Im sure we will make a few good signings will the FO get carried away and jump all into a bidding war. Probly not but they will make some good offers and probly a run at 2-3 of the slightly less than top tier FA's
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-24-2012, 01:29 PM
joshb1983's Avatar
joshb1983 joshb1983 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: in ky now from columbus
Posts: 2,445
Rep Points: 921
Default Re: if foster has 1st rd tender why not get him

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Crusader View Post
Go with Lamar Miller. He's quicker, bit beefer and can take more hits. I'll take that over what we know is an injury prone running back coming to a team that doesn't work well with injuries.
i like miller...he would be a great fit here...they said his shoulder is good to go and hes already running in the 4.3s in combine training
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/2/22...innati-bengals
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-24-2012, 02:20 PM
jfkbengals's Avatar
jfkbengals jfkbengals is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,983
Rep Points: 3817
Default Re: if foster has 1st rd tender why not get him

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshb1983 View Post
instead of giving a 1st rd pick to steelers for mike wallace why not give texans one for foster if hes not franchised...texans will tender him and try to match any offer is what i seen on a few sites...id rather have foster than wallace...
Because the Texans have already ridden him into the ground. I'm not saying he's washed up already, but he's close to beginning that decline. Far too close to use a first round pick. With the new CBA you can only sign a first rounder for 4 years, but with a Franchise Tag and/or re-signing, you should get 5+ years out of a first round pick. I don't see Foster having more than 3 years left in the tank, as the Texans were smart enough to get as many miles as possible at the cheap, undrafted price tag. I'd advocate bringing him on, just not at the expense on an early pick.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-25-2012, 12:25 AM
CLTWhoDey's Avatar
CLTWhoDey CLTWhoDey is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 369
Rep Points: 468
Default Re: if foster has 1st rd tender why not get him

lets give both picks up....17 for Arien and 21 for Wallace...kill the cap and see how it goes out...we should all be GM's!


__________________
Big Red and Green Machine!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-25-2012, 02:52 PM
cinc4ever1's Avatar
cinc4ever1 cinc4ever1 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Springfield,IL
Posts: 17,771
Rep Points: 22967
Default Re: if foster has 1st rd tender why not get him

As much as I would love to get Foster I'm always concerned about his health. But the guy has amazing vision when healthy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-25-2012, 05:53 PM
fredtoast's Avatar
fredtoast fredtoast is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Scenic East Tennessee
Posts: 48,029
Rep Points: 52737
Default Re: if foster has 1st rd tender why not get him

Foster was injured every year in college. That is why he wasn't drafted. In the NFL he has one full season as a healthy starter. The guy is made of glass. No way we want to give him a ton of money.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-26-2012, 06:51 AM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 22,227
Rep Points: 24270
bengals Re: if foster has 1st rd tender why not get him

Quote:
Originally Posted by busamboy View Post
I can understand about the giving up a draft pick, but why are worried about how much somebody costs? It is this attitude that allows Mike Brown to play with your mind. There is nobody that costs too much for us right now.
You do realize that we are a very young team and that in the next couple of years we are.going to have some pretty big deals.we are going to have to get wrapped up. This franchise has established a very good core of young players and has put themselves in very good position to wrap these kids up with long term deals.

Say what you want about the franchise and Mike being cheap or whatever but look at the position Pittsburgh is in right now. They have one of the best young WRs in the game right now looking for a new deal and they are about 11 million over the projected cap.

It seems that many only consider the here and right now. As a responsible franchise you must also consider future contract implications.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-26-2012, 07:09 AM
Shake n Blake's Avatar
Shake n Blake Shake n Blake is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Homers gonna home
Posts: 14,289
Rep Points: 31247
Default Re: if foster has 1st rd tender why not get him

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
You do realize that we are a very young team and that in the next couple of years we are.going to have some pretty big deals.we are going to have to get wrapped up. This franchise has established a very good core of young players and has put themselves in very good position to wrap these kids up with long term deals.

Say what you want about the franchise and Mike being cheap or whatever but look at the position Pittsburgh is in right now. They have one of the best young WRs in the game right now looking for a new deal and they are about 11 million over the projected cap.

It seems that many only consider the here and right now. As a responsible franchise you must also consider future contract implications.
Heaven forbid we go to 3 superbowls, then wind up having some minor cap issues in a few years.

I seriously think some people are brainwashed by MB and the hobson spin machine. Some people on these boards will tell you they hate Mike Brown, then go on to promote everything that he's about. We always sign free agents. Every...single...year. Some people would have you believe that it's better to bring in scrap heap guys than to actually pay a pro bowler to play here.

The roster is in a constant state of flux, OSU. For instance, Clements and Geathers will be off the books next year. That will clear up 8-11 million alone. I assure you, we can sign a couple marquee FA's and still have cap room for the future. With Dalton and Green, we won't be talking extensions until 2013 at the earliest.

Why are we so afraid of signing a big FA or two? Are we afraid that the Bengals "winning formula" will suddenly be shattered? Last I checked, this team still hasn't won a playoff game in 21 years. Maybe a good FA wouldn't hurt. Or maybe we should just keep signing guys off the scrap heap.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.