Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:57 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 431
Default Re: Time to part ways with Rivers.

Isn't he under contract? He deserves another year although I haven't been impressed with him since the beginning.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:03 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26169

Hahaha.....People are so goofy. The top 2 threads in Jungle Noise right now are titled...."Time to part ways with Rivers" and "Bring back Thurman". That makes me laugh.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:50 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cupcakes View Post
Hahaha.....People are so goofy. The top 2 threads in Jungle Noise right now are titled...."Time to part ways with Rivers" and "Bring back Thurman". That makes me laugh.
I would go for both of those actually. Thurman > Rivers.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 840
bengals Re: Time to part ways with Rivers.

i have always thought that rivers was a panic draft as sedrick ellis was who they wanted before the saints moved up to grab him
Old 04-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5224

I actually like Rivers and feel that, when healthy, he is our most complete and dependable LB. However, I also think that due to circumstances beyond his control the team has passed him by and now may be the time to start shopping him around. I think Green Bay would welcome him. Also now that Seattle has a cup of coffee and half a danish as their starting LBs it might be time for a reunion with Pete. Swap seconds with Seattle and get their 3rd or maybe 4th? Wonder what a package deal of Rey and Keith to the Seahawks could net us...
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 04-04-2012, 11:42 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
I actually like Rivers and feel that, when healthy, he is our most complete and dependable LB. However, I also think that due to circumstances beyond his control the team has passed him by and now may be the time to start shopping him around. I think Green Bay would welcome him. Also now that Seattle has a cup of coffee and half a danish as their starting LBs it might be time for a reunion with Pete. Swap seconds with Seattle and get their 3rd or maybe 4th? Wonder what a package deal of Rey and Keith to the Seahawks could net us...
I'd trade Rivers.

I like Maualuga.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5224

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDragon View Post
I'd trade Rivers.

I like Maualuga.
With Hawthorne going to the Saints the Seahawks have nothing at MLB. I guess the question is would they prefer taking their chances with Kuechly at 12 or would they prefer to address some other position and trade for a player Pete is familiar with. I wonder if they view Moffit as expendable? hmmm that gives me a new draft scenario!
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 04-04-2012, 11:56 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36824

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj22 View Post
Thank you Fred. Not sure why people have forgot. Not lived up to his potential? He never had potential. He was who he was coming out and we knew that. He's solid. If not for the injuries we wouldn't be complaining about him so much. I've seen him have some good games. And I've seen him take over some games (Chargers 09, Cowboys 08 just to name a few couple ones). He's not Patrick Willis, but we never thought he was and he was never suppose to be. He needs to stay healthy for a fullyear so we can get a true eval of him.
after the year of no linebackers we needed a solid one and drafted a solid one.

that was a NEED pick
Old 04-04-2012, 01:19 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26169

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDragon View Post
I would go for both of those actually. Thurman > Rivers.
This is just plain stupidity....

Thurman in 05 > any LB on the team now
Thurman now < any LB on the team now
Old 04-04-2012, 03:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3250

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
He may not have lived up to his draft status, but he is not a bust. His a starting quality OLB. It would be crazy to just cut him.
I mean he's average. You'd think the #9 pick would be an all-pro, but it simply isn't the case I mean we got two top 10 defensive ends on the roster (thankfully not picked by us) that haven't lived up to their potential. On top of that Rivers hasn't been able to stay completely healthy for an entire season. I'd like to see what he can do this season if he can stay healthy all year. That said he's a solid veteran option that we shouldn't get rid of until we've got someone to take over the spot. And I'd rather have him as a depth guy that a 5th round pick.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:49 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18405

I'm amazed how many people want to cut ties with Rivers, without at least seeing how he comes back, but then there are a good deal of others that are talking about extending Rey Maualuga's deal.

We don't want to at least keep Rivers for depth? He's under contract for the year, and I think he's more than deserving of a roster spot, so why not hold on to him? He's a decent starter IMO, and I don't think he's been any more of a bust than Rey. (Yes, I know he was a first rounder, but I also think he's shown more, and lacks the two strikes that Rey has)

So why all the hate for one player, but the support for another? Fwiw, I think a healthy Rivers can maybe bring just as much to the team as Manny Lawson, Rey, and maybe Thomas Howard. None of them are that great, and I think Rivers has just as much upside, and is in pretty the same class as those guys.

Higher expectations, and first round hate? Andre Smith's career has been equally disappointing, yet he's doesn't face the same criticism. I don't get it.

Last edited by Toast Jones; 04-04-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast Jones View Post
I'm amazed how many people want to cut ties with Rivers, without at least seeing how he comes back, but then there are a good deal of others that are talking about extending Rey Maualuga's deal.

We don't want to at least keep Rivers for depth? He's under contract for the year, and I think he's more than deserving of a roster spot, so why not hold on to him? He's a decent starter IMO, and I don't think he's been any more of a bust than Rey. (Yes, I know he was a first rounder, but I also think he's shown more, and lacks the two strikes that Rey has)

So why all the hate for one player, but the support for another? Fwiw, I think a healthy Rivers can maybe bring just as much to the team as Manny Lawson, Rey, and maybe Thomas Howard. None of them are that great, and I think Rivers has just as much upside, and is in pretty the same class as those guys.

Higher expectations, and first round hate? Andre Smith's career has been equally disappointing, yet he's doesn't face the same criticism. I don't get it.

Well Andre Smith's problems were commitment and hard work which he worked out last year and proved to be a really good right tackle for us. Both Rey and Keith are middle of the pack players further hindered by off the field troubles and injury. If they can avoid the non football problems then people would probably have a higher opinion of them. Can when improve? Sure, but we could also be a lot worse of without them. Manny's a solid player as well as Howard, but honestly none of them are spectacular.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:46 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 876

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
You and I both know (not just because of the numbers I posted) that Keith is better than BJ in coverage.

Shake, you don't know who's going to start anymore than I do.
Truck, I hear ya brother…

Training camp should be fun.

Let’s hope that Keith can stay healthy and “bring it", and make them glad that they drafted him where they did.

By the same token, I really like Howard too and hope he does well. Last year he definitely showed me something – a real good free agent pick-up.

IMO, the Bengals really benefit if they both play well.

Anyway, I know Keith’s your boy, and I wish him nothing but the best.

Who Dey!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1018

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHenry View Post

Let’s hope that Keith can stay healthy and “bring it", and make them glad that they drafted him where they did.

By the same token, I really like Howard too and hope he does well. Last year he definitely showed me something – a real good free agent pick-up.

Who Dey!
I agree!!! Let's add depth and use both to their expected strengths....I hate that rivers hasn't really panned out but injury I think outside of just sucking is what's keeping him here
Old 04-06-2012, 11:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19118

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHenry View Post

Who Dey!
Will be great JH!

We'll see!

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE