Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Smack Talk

Smack Talk Talk trash with fans from opposing teams. Have fun guys and gals, but keep it clean.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:45 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1761
Default Re: Ken Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millz View Post
If Dillon was on a competent team back other than those putrid Bengal teams he was on running behind those horrid lines for many years, no reason he couldn't make the Hall on a better team. Not a homer statement either as I just called out my team being putrid back then. But looking at his numbers he put up in his career, 11,241 yards and 82 td's (35 td's were in his last 3 years with the Pats), he would have had much better numbers overall making him Hall eligible.
I agree with that much, but as it stands now he'll never make it. He retired when he was 15th all-time in rushing yards and rushing TDs. Not bad, but far from eye popping.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:55 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6andcounting View Post
I agree with that much, but as it stands now he'll never make it. He retired when he was 15th all-time in rushing yards and rushing TDs. Not bad, but far from eye popping.
Yeah that makes sense, as long as there are only 14 running backs in the hall of fame. If he has better stats he should be in there, especially considering he played on such a poor team and had to carry his team.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:10 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 35410

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noob Avenger View Post
It's called "playing for the Bengals". You have to be Top 3 all time at your position to get in to the Hall if you play for them (See: Anthony Munoz).

Dan Fouts being in there irritates the living hell out of me. The dude had an incredible team around him and still couldn't win a superbowl.
Hold up bud. Fouts had good receivers and nothing else. No run game, porous defense.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmith(DE) View Post
Homer statement of the year.
I pee'd a little that was so funny
Don't understand how that's such a homer statement. How many RBs from the same era can you name that are better than Dillon given similar circumstances? Horrible defense, sub-par line, bad coaching, mediocre to bad QBs and receivers was the name of the game for most of his career as a Bengal. You saw what he did in NE when he was on a complete team with a competent coaching staff.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:58 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 12835

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfan4ever View Post
LOL!

Dude... I'd rather party with Jake Delhomme than be a Bengal fan!
Now you're making progress, bumpkin.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:02 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodley View Post
You're just mad because I struck a nerve.
Better get back to reading your "Smack Talking for Butt Hurt Idiots" book.
You couldn't strike a nerve if i stood in front of you and you had a Katana in your hand.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:06 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6andcounting View Post
Someone who's good at Photoshop, please make me a picture or Corey Dillion wearing a HOF jacket. I need a good laugh.
Earl Campbell says he'll get right on that.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:08 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Personally I never really thought of Kenny as a HOF caliber quarterback. However when I see ones in the Hall like a Fauts, he should be in there just as much then.

If Dillon was on a competent team back other than those putrid Bengal teams he was on running behind those horrid lines for many years, no reason he couldn't make the Hall on a better team. Not a homer statement either as I just called out my team being putrid back then. But looking at his numbers he put up in his career, 11,241 yards and 82 td's (35 td's were in his last 3 years with the Pats), he would have had much better numbers overall making him Hall eligible.
^This. Put Dillon on an average team and his numbers are at least 20% better. Considering they're already HOF worthy, that makes him a no-doubter.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:35 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2675

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaulk34 View Post
Earl Campbell says he'll get right on that.
Earl Campbell would say you're an idiot.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:47 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
You couldn't strike a nerve if i stood in front of you and you had a Katana in your hand.
Lol...obviously your weapon of choice is denial..you lose.

But you're right this time, I couldn't... I'd be laughing too hard at that wimp standing in front of me.

Last edited by Woodley; 07-05-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:31 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Lol...obviously your weapon of choice is denial..you lose.

But you're right this time, I couldn't... I'd be laughing too hard at that wimp standing in front of me.
Your weapon of choice is stupidity. And you win!!!!!! yay
Old 07-05-2012, 04:35 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac18 View Post
Man it's ok if want to admit your a bengals fan...lol
Yeah you wont have anything decent to root for in indy for a good 3 years.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 07-06-2012, 01:06 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3460

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
How many RBs from the same era can you name that are better than Dillon given similar circumstances?
Argument done and sealed right there. Whether you think it's right or wrong (and I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you) the Hall of Fame doesn't take into account or even care for circumstances.

It's a numbers game. Help around him means nothing. If it did, Troy Aikman isn't in the Hall of Fame, and sure Corey Dillon might be there.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3460

Quote:
^This. Put Dillon on an average team and his numbers are at least 20% better. Considering they're already HOF worthy, that makes him a no-doubter.
I'd disagree. I'm not knocking him, but if he's on a better team, he's not getting as many touches, and he's probably shipped out the door earlier. (Todays NFL..this isn't the Emmit Smith NFL anymore, where teams run a guy until the wheels fall off)

Ps, I'd say the exact same thing about Jerome Bettis.

(And, it is pretty depressing how so many bengal fans seem to forget, the Bengals had a hell of a dominant O-line for quite a long time)

Last edited by Asmith(DE); 07-06-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:55 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7175

Quote:
Anderson definitely deserves a bust in Canton, no doubt about it.

Bengals snubs as I see it:
Tim Krumrie
Ken Riley
Corey Dillon

Other guys that should get serious consideration:
Isaac Curtis
Reggie Williams
Dillon isn't a snub, he retired in the 07 offseason, he's eligible next year.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 07-06-2012, 07:20 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Dillon isn't a snub, he retired in the 07 offseason, he's eligible next year.
Krum and Riley aren't snubs either...just average players.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:49 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Personally I never really thought of Kenny as a HOF caliber quarterback. However when I see ones in the Hall like a Fauts, he should be in there just as much then.

What's with the hating on Fouts? Dude was a friggin beast. The chargers had nothing but a pass game, no run game, no defense.

They contended for conference titles on nothing but his arm. Had some good receivers yes, but normally, having that alone does not get a team to the playoffs, let alone AFFC games.

I'm cool with Dillon getting in there, but pushing him for it while pooh poohing Fouts being in there is ridiculous.

Fouts, nearly single handedly, made the Chargers relevant, had them deep in the playoffs a couple times and had an outstanding career in general.

Except for one year in NE, Dillon ran for a bunch of yards behind an excellent Oline on an otherwise terrible team that was always getting beat....which means a lot of his yards were against indifferent defenses that were playing out the string in prevent alignments cuz the game was over.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:36 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
What's with the hating on Fouts? Dude was a friggin beast. The chargers had nothing but a pass game, no run game, no defense.

They contended for conference titles on nothing but his arm. Had some good receivers yes, but normally, having that alone does not get a team to the playoffs, let alone AFFC games.

I'm cool with Dillon getting in there, but pushing him for it while pooh poohing Fouts being in there is ridiculous.

Fouts, nearly single handedly, made the Chargers relevant, had them deep in the playoffs a couple times and had an outstanding career in general.

Except for one year in NE, Dillon ran for a bunch of yards behind an excellent Oline on an otherwise terrible team that was always getting beat....which means a lot of his yards were against indifferent defenses that were playing out the string in prevent alignments cuz the game was over.
Fouts was brought up as a comparison for Ken Anderson not being in the HOF since they are both QBs and Anderson has better stats and made it to a superbowl. Dillon was just a side comment about someone else who deserved to make it. Hope that clears it up.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

How do you explain him getting better in NE if the defenses were playing prevent most of the time against CIN? Shouldn't he have had much better numbers here, and gotten worse when going to NE? The fact is teams knew Dillon was the only weapon the Bengals offense had, and they focused the majority of their gameplans on stopping him. Running against 8 man fronts on a near constant basis, yet still producing at the level he did is nothing short of amazing.

I think if he had been on a team similar to NE for the majority of his career, he'd have been a lock for Canton.

Last edited by shaolinghost; 07-06-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
lol. Just looking at their numbers tells you they weren't average, but very much above, and that's not taking into account intangibles and things that can't be recorded on a stat sheet.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:16 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
How do you explain him getting better in NE if the defenses were playing prevent most of the time against CIN? Shouldn't he have had much better numbers here, and gotten worse when going to NE? The fact is teams knew Dillon was the only weapon the Bengals offense had, and they focused the majority of their gameplans on stopping him. Running against 8 man fronts on a near constant basis, yet still producing at the level he did is nothing short of amazing.

I think if he had been on a team similar to NE for the majority of his career, he'd have been a lock for Canton.
My observation was about his career in general and I started it by saying "except for one year in NE".

From there, I simply noted the circumstances of the bulk of his career while here in Cincy. I'm not saying he wasn't any good, I was just making the comparison to Fouts who people were saying didn't deserve in but that Dillon did. Like I said, I'm fine with Dillon going in, he was a great back. I just disagree completely with the notion that Fouts doesn't deserve it.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:21 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmith(DE) View Post
I'd disagree. I'm not knocking him, but if he's on a better team, he's not getting as many touches, and he's probably shipped out the door earlier. (Todays NFL..this isn't the Emmit Smith NFL anymore, where teams run a guy until the wheels fall off)

Ps, I'd say the exact same thing about Jerome Bettis.

(And, it is pretty depressing how so many bengal fans seem to forget, the Bengals had a hell of a dominant O-line for quite a long time)
If he were on an average team, he'd be expected to still carry the load running the ball. There's no reason to suggest he'd get less carries. I'm not talking about putting him on a passing team. And anyway, when he was put on a good team (new england) he had his best statistical season. And he wouldn't be playing in today's NFL. He still be playing in the '90s NFL where the bell-cow running back was sought after.

I don't think anyone forgets how good the Bengals Olines have been over the years. The problem was the passing offense after Dillon got here. Atrocious with a capital A. No balance at all. He got his yards but he couldn't do it all himself.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:21 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars304 View Post
Fouts was brought up as a comparison for Ken Anderson not being in the HOF since they are both QBs and Anderson has better stats and made it to a superbowl. Dillon was just a side comment about someone else who deserved to make it. Hope that clears it up.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
It's been said in this thread that neither Anderson nor Fouts deserve to be in. I disagree on both fronts. It was also said that Dillon deserved it more than Fouts, which I also disagree with, even though I have no problem with Dillon making it, he was great, but he's not more deserving than Fouts or Anderson as far as I'm concerned.

I quoted the posts I was responding to. Not really sure why you felt I needed something "cleared up", it was clear which comments I was replying to.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:32 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19283

Quote:

For some reason I was thinking Fouts had different numbers over his career. After looking them up in regards to league history, he deserves to be in the Hall.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 07-06-2012, 07:52 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Interesting take. Tim Krumrie played in **** LeBeau's defense. He averaged 84 tackles and just about 3 sacks a year. How did Casey Hampton do?

Did you come out of the womb a failure or have you just cultivated it during the course of a long, depressing lifetime?